Roadking II/GCX/Mini AG questions

NotATech

I recently decided to completely overhaul my rig and need some direction!

What I have:
Ground Control Pro
GCX
Mini Amp Gizmo (with the special cable to connect to my specific amp)
G Major 2
RoadKing II

I'm hoping to use my Ground Control Pro to do all my amp switching, plus control my G Major 2, and control several stompboxes thrown into the loops of the GCX. Is this possible? And how should it all be patched together?

I'm used to just a guitar > amp situation but current endevours mean I have to have more going on...so I don't have much experience with midi.

Hopefully an even more simple question: Will I be able to use my Ground Control Pro's 1-4 PRESET (not the instant access) buttons to switch channels 1-4 on my amp....or do I have to program CC messages into my 8 other instant access buttons?? I need this fully operational by Friday so a quick response would be fantastic.

Hello,

You can definitely get all of that working together, and you can definitely also use the upper buttons for the GCX and the preset buttons for the amp channels.

Did you send me an email last week? If so, I just sent a response earlier today (sorry for the delay - been buried in emails lately!).

Here's what I sent:

The first thing I'd recommend doing is to connect the gcx and ground control to your pedals and amp following the directions in their manuals.

Next, connect the G-Major 2 to your amp's effects loop.

Then, connect MIDI cables as follows:

GCX MIDI output to G-Major MIDI input
G-Major MIDI Thru to Mini Amp Gizmo MIDI input

Power down the Mini Amp Gizmo, then power it up while holding the 8 button on the Gizmo. Keep holding until the lights flash and stay on. Now release the 8 button, then press the 4 button. (This sets up the Mini Amp Gizmo to work with the Road King - you only have to do this step once).

Connect the Mini Amp Gizmo to the amp's footswitch jack using our Road King interface cable. Now, buttons 1 through 4 will control the channels on the amp, and buttons 5-8 will control the effects loops, reverb and solo boost (see the sheet that came with the interface cable for the exact details).

To program the Mini Amp Gizmo:

1). Select a preset on the Ground Control Pro
2). Use the Mini Amp Gizmo buttons to turn on the desired channel, effects loop, etc.
3). Hold down the Write button on the Gizmo until the lights flash.

The Gizmo will remember your settings and will automatically call up the correct channel, loop, etc. when you select that preset. You can repeat steps 1 through 3 for each preset you want to set.

The G-Major will also automatically switch presets when you select a preset on the Ground Control.

Back