Seeking guidance on functionality (potential buyer)

F

fevzay

Please, please help me affirm what I think I know, and give me ideas on how else I can use the PBC to my benefit.

A short background...
I am new to MIDI, but I see the obvious benefits of presets and "control" over different parameters on pedals (ie. controlling delay repeats/mix, or tremolo speed, etc.) I'm sold. Just want to know what I'm missing out on conceptually. I currently have all three big box Strymon pedals (all MIDI capable). Outside of the PBC, I will be running a fairly simple rig; typically a single amp and just a handful of other pedals (fuzz, overdrive, boost, etc.). The Mission Engineering SP1-RJM will also be purchased at the same time as the PBC, so that I can control all 3 of the MIDI pedals with a single expression pedal.

Here are the concepts that I understand:
- Making Presets to scroll through for specific songs (ie. Intro, Verse, Chorus, Lead, etc.) while using PC messages to recall specific presets on my MIDI pedals
- Tying an the Mission SP1-RJM to send CC messages (to control parameters on Strymon pedals; ie. repeats on Timeline)
- MIDI clock to sync tempo for the Timeline and Mobius (some effects)
- Loops page: where I can go straight into accessing pedals ON/OFF function
- Switches page: where I can access the default functions/switches
- Creating a 'page' (I **think**) to access the Strymon Timeline's looper functionality. Hoping to press a button that takes me to a page where I can have all of the usual looper functions (Record, Play, Stop, etc.). I'd like access to this on certain Songs (ie. Intro, Verse, Chorus, Lead, To Looper).
- Parallel mixing for wet effects (This is a big seller for me!)
- Adding Bank UP/DOWN buttons to scroll through pedals presets (although this isn't as important once Presets for songs are in place)
- Possibly recalling a 'favorite' setting on smaller Strymon pedals (DIG, el Capistan, etc.)

I am a fairly intelligent person, but the world of MIDI and unimaginable control is new to me. With so many possibilities, I feel a bit paralyzed on what else I'd do with the MM PBC.

Can anyone explain concepts that I'm missing, or possibilities that I haven't thought of? I've read over several threads in this forum as well as the manual. Some of what confuses me is the lack of tactile understanding (seeing things in use). I still feel like I'm missing how 'pages' work (I will generally be using presets apart from a few IA buttons, I **think**).

Any help is appreciated. I know, I know.....newbies....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, and welcome!

I think that you've covered a lot - maybe someone else with a similar rig can come up with some other things they're doing that might be of interest. But, that's pretty much everything I can think of that you'd want to do with a PBC + three Strymon pedals.

As for button pages, there are 16 button pages, and each one can be a completely different button arrangement. For example, out of the box, your buttons recall presets, select banks, turn on the tuner, etc. But, press the Loop button and you switch to the Loops page. This page changes all of the buttons so that they now turn loops on and off. This is all user definable - a new PBC has three pages (Presets, Loops and Switches), but you can create your own pages or change the three built-in pages however you like. You can definitely set up a page to control the Timeline looper. In fact, I'm planning to do a video on that topic as soon as I can find the time.

Fevzay, I have had my PBC for about a month now(see pic in show us your gear thread). I have both a timeline and mobius. I have not set up songs with presets yet as I'm not currently gigging regularly. I have the board set up with a half dozen presets(clean, fuzz, lead, crunch...) I have an exp pedal plugged in to the pbc as well as a 2 button foot switch connected to the ext switch in(gives 2 more programmable buttons). I have the 2 buttons set to turn on the loops for the Mobius and timeline respectively. This way no matter the preset I can turn on these loops. I have also programmed the preset buttons hold function( if you hold the button it can do something else) to switch to a page I programmed that has buttons for switching presets on the Mobius and timeline and turning on some of the overdrive loops. Also on this page are buttons for returning to the preset page and tap tempo. Now I select a preset then I can hold the button if I want to got to the custom page and can control the efx or add fuzz, dist, do,... Also on the buttons for the timeline and mobius loops if you hold it toggles the exp pedal between controlling the Mobius and the timeline. On the Mobius the exp pedal controls whatever is assigned to param 2 and on the timeline it controls the repeats.
You can also setup the board to automatically switch to a page when the button is pressed, i.e. Say you have a lead channel it could have a page that has specific setups u use with the lead tone like add flanger, passer,... Or delay. If you have songs that have a set of presets just create those with all settings needed.

Hope that helps. There are probably 1000 ways to set up the pbc as you have probably seen on the forum

LBC

Thanks for the welcome and responses so far! I'm still thinking over your replies. I know I'll have questions about some of them soon.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I have ordered the PBC...it'll be here either this week, or next week I'm told. :)

So far, I have only come up with two separate button pages that I know I'd like to use (in ADDITION to the default pages). Do you guys have any more ideas for me?

The first would be a button page to control the Timelines looper (record, play, stop, reverse, undo, redo, etc.).

The second button page would be a preset scroller for each of the Strymon pedals:
ie. Mobius (down/up), Timeline (down/up) and Big Sky (down/up) all on the bottom row of 6 buttons.

I had another idea for a page to basically lay out different types of effects for the Mobius (Trem, Vibrato, Chorus, Flanger, Rotary, etc.). I guess one of my fears is that I'll have to remember (and likely label) numerous things to each button.

I certainly don't plan on using all 16 button pages. That would be dizzying. I know Ron doesn't even intend for that, but I suppose it depends on application.

For the life of me, I just feel like I'm "missing" a few cool ways to utilize the PBC. I've read a few cool things on here, but I don't think I'll understand until I get mine.

I know the feeling. I sometimes feel compelled to explore the PBC more intimately, but as long as all my needs are met and there is no real need driving said explorations, what's the point. I let the gig dictate what I need, I think that is the healthiest approach to such a powerful unit. I take great confidence in having the best product I am aware of and trust it can handle every curveball I may be forced to throw at it in the future.

Timeline infinite repeat, big sky hold function, simultaneously controlling expression on multiple pedals, on the fly tap division changes on timeline and möbius, pre/post routing on möbius, auto selecting a pedal for expression control on a preset change. Lots to consider!

Back