Selah Quartz Timer

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Those of you using the Selah Quartz Timer with your PBC, can you let me know why you're using it? I've never seen one, but it seems that the PBC would be capable of doing everything the Quartz does, perhaps after some firmware tweaks. I'm all for adding as much functionality into the PBC as possible (and as makes sense) - the more value I can build in, the better for everyone.

What's your PBC tempo wish list?

Im using as a another MIDI device for songs tempos , easier to use over PBCs for me , and two buttons of PBC are for Device+ Device- , so easy .

PBC can does that too but im using externall switches for amp chanels changing
Quartz timers outs can be configured to switch chanels of amps too , great product

I have always some little problems changing songs via PBC , PBC sends tempo sometimes without any action on my side , but now im using only for amp chanels and Bogner RED boost and ON/OFF switching

Those of you using the Selah Quartz Timer with your PBC, can you let me know why you're using it? I've never seen one, but it seems that the PBC would be capable of doing everything the Quartz does, perhaps after some firmware tweaks. I'm all for adding as much functionality into the PBC as possible (and as makes sense) - the more value I can build in, the better for everyone.

The quartz sends tap divisions.

I actually tweeted at Jeffrey Kunde(big worship artist who's using that setup) to ask him that very question because I've had no need for something like that with my pbc. His response was "the Quartz is more user friendly and easily accessible." I guess maybe it's for the sake of adjusting tempos and whatnot on the fly.

1) individual sub division control of each analog tap output.

2) A wide variety of sub divisions, similar to the H9. Plus Phi (golden ratio) 16th note triplet, 1/4 note triplet.

3) 1button circular scroll through sub divisions so you can program and save sub divisions per song or preset.

Thanks! I will keep all that in mind for the next release(s). Any other suggestions, please let me know!

Great suggestion for the tempo subdivision control. My Deluxe Memory Man has subdivisions, but having them integrated into my presets would rule. A variety of subdivisions would be good. I like the golden ratio idea.

Ron, I honestly think that this could constitute a new product for your mini line. There are a few of the Quartz time like boxes on the market, but they all require a spot on your board. One that could be mounted underneath or in a rack to be controlled from midi would be ideal for many people.

Obviously this wouldn't be necessary for Mastermind owners because you could much more easily write it this feature into firmware.

1. Subdivisions
2. Always having the BPM displayed at all times

I would LOVE to have both of these somehow integrated as options in the next firmware!

I received mine a week ago...
Very complex device.
So can you help me?

• First, for you what his the best way to control tempo?
    • On strymon's effect, there are MIDI Clock, CC control on xx, or external control,
    • on Free The Tone Flight Time only CC or external.
  • For MIDI clock: Master on PBC or Quartz?
  • What is the configuration to communicate between Quartz and PBC? I would like to abble to control MIDI Clock and Tap by the Quartz but how to update the Quartz when PBC send MIDI Clock change when presets selection?
  • Maybe some more questions later :p

• First, for you what his the best way to control tempo?
    • On strymon's effect, there are MIDI Clock, CC control on xx, or external control,
    • on Free The Tone Flight Time only CC or external.
  • For MIDI clock: Master on PBC or Quartz?
  • What is the configuration to communicate between Quartz and PBC? I would like to abble to control MIDI Clock and Tap by the Quartz but how to update the Quartz when PBC send MIDI Clock change when presets selection?
  • Maybe some more questions later :p

1) The Strymon and FTT would be on different Midi channels. Send them what they'll accept?
2) The video suggests making the Quartz the master so that it is easy to make minor tempo adjustments – there's a knob to grab, it displays the tempo all the time, the display can change background color to help you "see" where it's at. It also points out that you don't have to dedicate a button on the PBC for tap tempo.
3) If you're going to use the Quartz, it should be the master I think... not the PBC. Why would you have the PBC send clock changes? Just send the Quartz a program change and it would send any other changes.

No snark in this question... Why did you buy the Quartz? What problem were you solving?

I think you can set up the PBC as master, control the Quartz so that it does everything downstream... but there's always going to be a disconnect between what's going on on the PBC and everything downstream if you adjust anything on the Quartz.

Last edited:
I second Paul's two bullet points.

PLUS, having a master/slave mode where PBC always acts as the master unless a MidiClock is present at the Midi Input.
I had a Disaster Area SmartClock in my pre-PBC days and it functioned this way.

This way, if I'm in the studio and getting the tempo feed from the session computer via Midi, it will automatically put the PBC in slave mode.

Yes, I know I can go into the system menu and change the PBC to "slave" manually. Then I have to remember to change it back to "master" if I go to a gig...

Or I suppose if this automatic "master/slave" mode was default, the only option needed would be "ignore MidiClock on input" if you wanted to keep the PBC always as the "master."

I'm not using the Quartz but my PBC tempo wish list would be to send two different tempos on different midi channels or disable sending on one or more channels as needed on preset by preset basis. I usually want my Timeline to synch to tempo (unless I'm using a simple slapback delay). However, I typically want my Mobius to sync for effects like tremolo but not chorus or rotory etc. At the moment I have to either disable all tempo info and rely on the pedals themselves or accept that my chorus, flanger, filters etc all sync to tempo.

Reactions: djb
Unfortunately, MIDI clock is global - it's not sent on any specific channel. It's an all-or-nothing deal. Because the sender (PBC) only has the choice of sending or not sending clock, it's up to each receiver (pedal) to listen or not listen. I haven't gotten in depth with the Strymon pedals, but what you need is the ability to enable or disable MIDI clock on a per-preset basis. If they can't do this now, you might want to ask Strymon to add the feature.

And Strymon has this to say... I saw that it was global to their settings, and asked about turning it on and off via MIDI.

"Currently, the MIDI clock is only available globally, and cannot be changed with a MIDI message. This means you can only have it completely on or completely off.

This is going to be changed in a future firmware. I don't have exact details on the release date yet, but it is currently in beta test. When we are confident we are not introducing any heinous bugs, we will distribute this firmware on our website."

I don't test for them (or have any affiliation whatsoever), but it sounds like at some point in the not too distant future, you'll be able to accomplish your goal @Wheresthedug

And Strymon has this to say... I saw that it was global to their settings, and asked about turning it on and off via MIDI.

"Currently, the MIDI clock is only available globally, and cannot be changed with a MIDI message. This means you can only have it completely on or completely off.

This is going to be changed in a future firmware. I don't have exact details on the release date yet, but it is currently in beta test. When we are confident we are not introducing any heinous bugs, we will distribute this firmware on our website."

I don't test for them (or have any affiliation whatsoever), but it sounds like at some point in the not too distant future, you'll be able to accomplish your goal @Wheresthedug

Thanks djb that sounds promising. I had previously requested this from Strymon too and got the first part of the response they gave you. I then suggested that they might want to add it to a future firmware update but didn't hear anything back. That was some time ago now so I had simply written it off. Looks like I might have been a little premature :)

Reactions: djb
Had a thought on Wheresthedug's question:

- Midiclock sends tempo to Mobius all the time (for syncing tremolos).

- Expression pedal set to control speed knob

If you engage the expression pedal (to adjust rotary, vibe, chorus, etc. speeds), will that override the midi synced tempo setting?
Or will it constantly 'snap back' to Midiclock after you adjust with expression pedal?

Haven't tested this myself but I'm curious to...

I haven't tried it recently and am not at my pedal board just now but I think from memory that the expression pedal overrides the midi clock in those situations in the same way as Tap tempo does.

So thamks for your help, I'm seaching again.

Why The Quartz? Because it can control pedals for ON OFF state (like Suhr's one) and Tempo on several pedals.
I try to loop PBC and Quartz:
- To have less latency (MIDI is very slow and if we can have less opto stage in the signal, better it is.
- I see that PBC clocl is more accuracy
- I would like to control tempo in real time plus to send Program Change with tempo information from the PBC.

For the moment, I felt.
I wrote Selah, they send me a solution but they have to update the firmware for full functionnality (Quartz can send only one persistant CC on only one channel.)

Back