Settings for Mission RJM exp pedal

I just got the Mission SP-1 RJM expression pedal and can't get it to work properly. The first problem is that after plugging it in (out 1 to RJM expression pedal jack and out 2 to ext sw input jack both using TRS cables), the light on the expression pedal doesn't light up. It only does when I switch the cables to the wrong jacks (opposite of above). I can actually get my H9 to respond to the expression pedal but it changes presets instead of parameters inside a preset. I've searched for youtube tutorials but can't find anything. It could be the pedal and not the Mastermind PBC.

Since posting this I have updated firmware, reconfigured my settings and all is well. My H9 problem is definitely a Eventide programming issue.

I have my RJM SP-1 controlling various parameters on a Mobius, TimeLine and BigSky. But what I haven't been able to figure out is how to use the toe switch to simply turn the RJM SP-1 pedal on/off. Ideally I'd like to have a preset that involves either the Mobius (a filter engine preset, for example) or the TimeLine (pretty much any engine and preset) that I can use the toe switch on the expression pedal to turn it on and start interacting with the preset - as a wah or controlling the delay Mix etc. I've had a good luck through the forums and the manual etc and I can't find any step by step guide to setting this function. Can anyone help with this set-up process?

I have my RJM SP-1 controlling various parameters on a Mobius, TimeLine and BigSky. But what I haven't been able to figure out is how to use the toe switch to simply turn the RJM SP-1 pedal on/off. Ideally I'd like to have a preset that involves either the Mobius (a filter engine preset, for example) or the TimeLine (pretty much any engine and preset) that I can use the toe switch on the expression pedal to turn it on and start interacting with the preset - as a wah or controlling the delay Mix etc. I've had a good luck through the forums and the manual etc and I can't find any step by step guide to setting this function. Can anyone help with this set-up process?

You could set Expression Pedal Grouping to [1 2] 3 4 and set expression pedal 2 to be disabled. Then, set the external switch 1 button type to Pedal Group 1. Pressing the button will switch the expression pedal from exp pedal #1's settings and exp pedal #2's settings and vice versa. The only unfortunate thing is that the light on the pedal won't change.

On the near term to-do list is the ability for a button to change expression pedal parameters. That would solve the pedal light issue, and be more flexible than pedal grouping.

I'm not sure how to "set expression pedal 2 to be disabled". Also, when I "set the external switch 1 button type to Pedal Group 1" am I correct in thinking I do this by clicking the 'Ext Switch 1' tab in the 'External Switches' field and then selecting from the 'Button Type' pull-down menu, 'Pedal 1 Group Shift'?

A further query unrelated to this issue regards being able to use the IA Buttons to edit presets in the Editor. All of the buttons have the 'Send on Preset Change' and 'Update on Preset Change' options checked but when I click on the buttons (or double click them) in the virtual device displays on the Presets tab pages they don't respond. To this point I have done all editing of presets on the PBC itself because I've been unable to get this function to work using the Editor. I'd love to sort this out because I can see the Editor will be a simpler and speedier way to work through this process. When I go to the preset pages in the Editor corresponding with the presets I have set up on the device the only evidence that the preset has been made on the PBC is in the 'PC Messages' field where I can see the settings I have made for PC# changes for my MIDI-controlled devices. (These all respond when I edit them via the Editor - it's just the IA Buttons that don't respond). Can anyone help with this?

To disable an expression pedal, edit it in global settings and set CC Number and CC Number 2 to "None". That'll prevent it from sending any MIIDI messages.

You're correct about the external switch 1 settings - that's how it's done

What are you trying to edit in the editor? Which buttons turn on and off in each preset, or other button settings? (or something else?)

Thanks Ron.

I'm trying to edit presets in the Editor. Working on my laptop and preparing presets by turning buttons on and off as well as selecting presets on my connected MIDI devices - nothing else.

I'm still not clear on the expression pedal set-up...

I clicked the 'Exp Pedal' tab at the top of the 'Expression Pedals' field on the Globals page to Edit it. On the 'Editing Expression Pedal (Global)' page I set both of the 'CC Number' tabs (for my Mobius and TimeLine) to None. I sent the changes to the device but the expression pedal wasn't changing (or switching) between devices...

Which pedal settings did oyu edit? Exp Pedal 1 should be set to control your devices. Exp Pedal 2 should be set to have CC Number and CC Number 2 should be set to "None". Then Exp Pedal Grouping (in Global settings should be set to [1 2] 3 4. Ext Switch 1should be set to Button Type "Pedal 1 Group Shift"

With all of that in place, and everything wired correctly (Output 1 of the pedal to Exp Pedal on the PBC, Output 2 of the pedal to Ext Switch on the PBC), then it should work. Pressing the toe switch should switch between controlling the devices and not controlling them.

I've attached some screen shots of my settings.
The first is of the Globals page.
The second is of my Expression Pedal 1 page (accessed via the 'Exp Pedal' Edit button in the 'Expression Pedals' field on the Globals page).
The third is of my Expression Pedal 2 page (accessed via the 'ExpPdl2' Edit button in the 'Expression Pedals' field on the Globals page).
And the fourth is of my External Switch page (accessed via the 'Pedal 1' Edit button in the 'External Switches' field.
My SP-1 is connected with TRS cables to the PBC as follows:
Cable 1 runs from the Exp Pedal jack on the PBC to the jack nearest the toe on the SP-1, and
Cable 2 runs from the Ext Sw Input jack on the PBC to the jack nearest the heel on the SP-1.
Thanks again for your assistance with this.

Attachments

• 1. Globals.png
    1. Globals.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2. Exp Pedal 1.png
    2. Exp Pedal 1.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 3. Exp Pedal 2.png
    3. Exp Pedal 2.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 4. Ext Switches.png
    4. Ext Switches.png
    90 KB · Views: 17
Can't find what I'm looking for anywhere else ... please direct me if this info is already on the forum, thanks. I'm soldering cables for my new pedal board and came to the "dual TRS" cables for my RJM SP-1 Exp pedal. OK, TRS from Output 1 to my Exp Input on my Mastermind PBC ... Now, here's the simple question with regard to Output 2 on the RJM SP-1 ... There's only 1 toe switch on the RJM SP-1 and the Mastermind PBC manual states that if only 1 switch is to be used, connect the Tip and Ground and leave the Ring untouched (Ron's Ring Disconnect). Am I to use the Ring Disconnect concept on Output 2 of the RJM SP-1? Or, does the RJM SP-1 Output 2 require the full TRS treatment? I know wordy question ... but, a simple one, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You can use either - on the Mission side, the ring is not connected, so it doesn't matter if the plug is TS or TRS. The only thing that's important is that the plug is TRS on the PBC side. Because the ring is not connected on the pedal side, using a standard TRS will have the same effect as a ring disconnect cable.

Thanks ... just opened the RJM Sp-1 and looked at the solder points ... And, just for anybody else who may care, there is no RING connection soldered on OUTPUT 2 Jack on the RJM Sp-1 pedal and that is why it doesn't matter whether I use a TS or TRS plug at the pedal end of the cable.

Attachments

• RJM Output 1left_2right.JPG
    RJM Output 1left_2right.JPG
    662.5 KB · Views: 12
Thanks ... just opened the RJM Sp-1 and looked at the solder points ... And, just for anybody else who may care, there is no RING connection soldered on OUTPUT 2 Jack on the RJM Sp-1 pedal and that is why it doesn't matter whether I use a TS or TRS plug at the pedal end of the cable.

Exactly. We're just trying to avoid grounding the ring on the PBC, which would make it think that switch #2 was being held down all the time.

Which pedal settings did oyu edit? Exp Pedal 1 should be set to control your devices. Exp Pedal 2 should be set to have CC Number and CC Number 2 should be set to "None". Then Exp Pedal Grouping (in Global settings should be set to [1 2] 3 4. Ext Switch 1should be set to Button Type "Pedal 1 Group Shift"

With all of that in place, and everything wired correctly (Output 1 of the pedal to Exp Pedal on the PBC, Output 2 of the pedal to Ext Switch on the PBC), then it should work. Pressing the toe switch should switch between controlling the devices and not controlling them.
I've just realised I didn't ask a question with my last post here...
The SP-1 is still not responding at all - the switch is not changing between assigned pedals (Mobius - TimeLine) or turning on or off. The screen shots in my earlier post are my current settings. Can you see something wrong with how I have it set up?
Perhaps using the Exp Pedal override feature per preset would be a simpler way for me to go? But I've looked through the PBC Editor Manual and I can't find a step by step instruction how to use this feature. Can anyone help with this?

If you'd like, you can send me your actual settings file and I can test it here.

Expression pedal overrides currently can only be done on a per-preset basis. To change what an expression pedal does for a specific preset, do the following:

- Go to the Presets tab and select a preset
- Check the checkbox next to exp pedal 1 (in the bottom left corner)
- Click the Edit button next to the checkbox
- Edit the settings for the expression pedal - the settings will only apply to the current preset

You can repeat this for any presets you like. Any preset that does not have the Exp Pedal 1 checkbox checked will use the expression pedal settings from the Globals page instead.

Back