Signal mutes momentarily when changing prests

Wheresthedug

I am trying to set up some new sounds using a Mesa Boogie MkV:25 but get an annoying signal mute when a preset includes sending a channel change to the MkV from Fn swt1 of the PBC.

If I change the channel with a button which activates the Fn swt1 the change is instant but when this is included in a preset change the signal is muted and I miss the first beat of the bar.

I know something like this was discussed previously but I can't seem to find the thread.

My initial though was that the click stoppers are muting for too long but I have them set at only 2ms. I have also tried turning both CS off and even that makes no difference.

My second though was that if a button has a second push assigned to it the PBC may be waiting for a period to decide whether there is a second push coming before acknowledging that the push was intended to make a change. However, I have tried to remove an 2nd push functions but it doesn't seem to make any difference (maybe I have missed one somewhere though).

The final thought was that maybe a button with a hold function attached could cause the PBC to wait a period before processing the command. I do currently have various buttons with hold functions to take me to alternative menus. However, removing these doesn't seem to solve it either.

What am I missing?

I'm not sure, the only thing in the PBC that mutes are the Click Stoppers. Try turning off buffers 2 and 3 and see if the problem goes away.

You're correct that hold functions do require the button to be released (or held long enough) before any action is taken, but that shouldn't cause a mute at all.

Other things to test: unplug everything from the PBC except the connections to the amp and guitar. See if it still mutes.

Hi Ron,

I've had another listen. I don't think I described it properly. The signal actually doesn't "mute" but there is a delay before the preset changes the channel on the Boogie.It's likde the amp changes channel about 1/16th note after I press the pedal. As I am going from a quiet clean sound with lots of delay to a big crunch chord sound with no FX I perceived the lack of immediate dirt as "muting".

It makes no difference whether buffers 2 and 3 are on or off.

It makes no difference if anything else is plugged in or not.

I am literally tapping the preset button and releasing straight away (no holding the pedal). No matter how quickly I try to bounce off the pedal the delay remains the same.

Try creating a preset that only changes the channel, see if that's any different.

I'm wondering if the amp just has that delay built in, but you aren't noticing it unless you're switching effects and the amp at the same time.

OK I'll try that later but I know the amp doesn't have a delay built in. When I change channels manually using one of the PBC additional buttons assigned to function switch 1 it changes instantly.

I removed the effects but it didn't make any difference. However, when I remove the hold function from those buttons everything works perfectly. It looks like I will just need to find an alternative way to get to my other pages (one is setup MIDI devices and the other is timeline looper functionality)

Ok, looks like what you're seeing is the time it takes for the button to return to the "up" position. You're right, removing the hold function is really the only choice.

I was afraid you were going to say that ;-)

I'll try and figure out the best way for me to navigate menus. I'm sure it must be easy enough to assign another button (maybe a hold function on the tuner button).

Back