So, the Axe FX 3 was Announced

It looks like each block can have a bypass CC and a channel CC assigned to it. I'm not sure why they didn't choose to combine the two into one CC as you propose, I will suggest that to them.

Awesome!

I do know that one of the rebuttals for suggesting one CC per effect block + channels over at Fractal has been "some MIDI pedals don't allow custom values per CC command, only 0 = off and 127 = on."

However, you could suggest to Fractal that both the channel CC and the bypass CC per effect remain in the Axe as separate definable CCs, but that maybe Fractal could also include redundant functionality of one into the other to make everybody happy. For example, you could suggest that the bypass CC contain only the "0 = effect bypass, 127 = effect activate" functionality, while the channel CC of each block could control both the channels and bypass states of a given block, or "0 = effect bypass, 1-4 = channels A - D, 127 = effect activate" or something like that which could then allow the Axe-Fx to accommodate both pre-existing and more modern MIDI pedals like the GT.

If every command related to one block was grouped into a single CC, people with more advanced MIDI controllers could ignore the simpler "bypass" type CCs altogether and instead only use the channel+bypass CCs in the Axe-Fx, which should allow enough MIDI mapping room for just about every, if not every effect block to be mapped to its own CC.

Last edited:
EDIT: Good news, just heard from Cliff and everything will be available via MIDI. We should be able to implement some very nice support for the III! I misunderstood a previous conversation and didn't think it was going to be possible, but I'm happy to be wrong about that.

So Ron,
Does “some very nice support” mean the same or very similar level as the Axe II? Or is it still too early to tell? Specifically the tuner and scenes and/or scene names?

Thanks,

So Ron,
Does “some very nice support” mean the same or very similar level as the Axe II? Or is it still too early to tell? Specifically the tuner and scenes and/or scene names?

Thanks,

As far as I know, it should be at least as good as the Axe-Fx II support, but I can't promise anything until I see the protocol spec.

@jasonmauer

Are you sure there’s a Scene Offset parameter in the Axe-Fx III’s MIDI menu?

Nice catch. That was a typo... I carried over the "Offset" from the prior menu option. The actual menu option is Scene Revert, as documented in the Axe-Fx III manual. (OFF [default] retains changes across scenes; ON ditches state between scene changes.)

Playing with it last night. I got the scenes and presets changing, tuner turning on. I change the channels with the scene stored on the preset, so I don't need channel access atm. So I can at least get most of the control I need for now. I asked again on the forum and one of the moderators yelled at me. So i'm not going to ask again for a while.

Playing with it last night. I got the scenes and presets changing, tuner turning on. I change the channels with the scene stored on the preset, so I don't need channel access atm. So I can at least get most of the control I need for now. I asked again on the forum and one of the moderators yelled at me. So i'm not going to ask again for a while.

Did you manage to get banks working? Right now I'm getting grief trying to select any presets above 127. The MSB setting for bank selection (which worked for the II) doesn't seem to doing the trick.

Did you manage to get banks working? Right now I'm getting grief trying to select any presets above 127. The MSB setting for bank selection (which worked for the II) doesn't seem to doing the trick.

I haven’t tried yet. Will play more tonight.

Okay Ron, here's an idea.

X/Y switching will replaced with channels in the Axe-Fx III. Many effects have up to 4 channels.

This poses the question: how can we select those channels (apart from presets and scenes). Well, a MIDI CC can be assigned to each effect's channel, and 4 CC values are assigned to the 4 channels.

So we can switch channels through presets, through scenes and with switches assigned to those CCs.

But, this leaves the question: how can we access those channels at will, without pre-programming?
Example: at a certain point in a song I want to switch to channel C of the phaser, but I haven't programmed it on forehand.

"IA Steps" offer sort of a solution, but not 100% and they still require programming on forehand.

It would be great if the MM GT can provide a channel select mechanism. Such as: press-and-hold the Phaser button to engage "Channel Select" mode, then step on switch 1-4 to select the channel. A single press still engages/bypasses the Phaser.

The actual state (ABCD) can be reflected through the button’s color.

Whadayathink?

Another suggestion: the III gets scene names. We already have Preset Menu and Song Menu commands in the GT, now let’s add a Scene Menu too!

Until a mechanism like described above will be implemented, here's another way to get quick access to all channels of an effect in a similar way: use Button Pages. Create a specific Channel page for each effect.

Example:
- On page 1 / Local Page create a regular Chorus On/Off button.
- Program its HOLD function to open a different page ("Chorus Channels"). This page only contains buttons which are linked to the channels of the Chorus effect. Put the buttons in a “group”. Plus a "Return to Page 1" button.
- Now it's simply a matter of holding the Chorus button, select the desired channel, and return to the main page.

Last edited:
Axe-Fx III due to arrive at the office tomorrow! :)

Are the LT and GT on similar firmwares (running underneath)? I ask because I have my LT reserved for Axe III duty, and I’m hoping Axe III implementation is an easy crossover from the GT to the LT.

Are the LT and GT on similar firmwares (running underneath)? I ask because I have my LT reserved for Axe III duty, and I’m hoping Axe III implementation is an easy crossover from the GT to the LT.

Yes, the two are about 80% the same as far as firmware goes. Support for 3rd party devices is definitely part of that 80%.

First post here... and a prospective RJM user! I'll be watching this thread more intensely than I anticipated.

Reactions: Jop
Back