[Solved] Accessing presets above 127 on AFX III

Rick

I see the GT22 can access well over 700 presets, though mine circles back to preset #1 at preset 128. I raised the number of preset setting to 512, and maxed the number of PC to 256 though I am not sure either is the setting I am looking for.

Can I, without using midi mapping in the Axe Fx III, have more than 127 presets programmed into the GT22? If so, could someone point me to the reference for setting this up? I will likely not have to have 128+ presets, but it seemed a waste to not just set preset 301 to preset 301 and be done if it's possible.

Thanks in advance!

In your device settings for the Axe-Fx III in the GT's Devices tab, set the following parameters:

Bank Type: MSB
Flat Numbering ON
Max PC: 127
# of presets 512

That'll allow you to access all presets on the Axe-Fx III. Be sure to have your Axe-Fx firmware up to date, I hear there was an issue with earlier firmware that didn't allow it to access all of the presets.

Set as you show here and it works like a champ! Thanks for another assist, sir! I am glad to see the service here is everything your customers told me it would be.

Ron, what does MSB or LSB mean? I see the reference in the manual, but wondered what the letters refer to, assuming it is a bank size of some sort.

UPDATE: I searched the internet and found an explanation on Sweetwater's site. I won't say I understand it yet, but it's a start!

A true program change that also selects a bank is composed of (3) MIDI messages:
CC 000 nnn (Bank Select MSB – Most Significant Byte)
CC 032 nnn (Bank Select LSB – Least Significant Byte)
Prog Change nnn (MIDI Program Change message 0~127)

More detail here: https://www.morningstarfx.com/single-post/2016/12/25/MIDI-MSB-and-LSB

MIDI has been around since I was barely out of my teens, and I still appear to have much to learn on it.

Last edited:
Back