SOLVED: Help! Buffer #2 increases signal level by about 3dB, suddenly

boyce89976

@rjmmusic

I updated to 4.7 this evening, and immediately noticed that things didn't sound quite right. My guitar was hitting the amp a little harder than normal, and I wasn't getting the same volume boost with each gain stage. It took a while, but I traced it to buffer #2. Disengaging it, signal level is normal, but engaged it's about 3dB hotter than unity level and is pushing the amp harder than intended. With my Axe FX III, I can play my first gain stage with buffer #2 disengaged and see no orange on the input meter (like it's always been), but when I engage buffer #2 I have solid orange on the input meter.

I rolled back to 4.3, and loaded up my backup settings file, and it's now happening on the old file too (it wasn't before). I've tried attaching the files but the uploader says the files are empty.

Ron, any ideas on what could cause buffer #2 to change output level? No other pedal settings have changed.

Attachments

• Mastermind PBC Settings.Warped Vinyl NEW 1.26.22 FINAL.rjs
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • pbc.rjs
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The buffer has no gain on its own. What's likely happening is that you have a problem in your system somewhere and the buffer is compensating for it, bringing the signal level up to where it should be.

Let's start here... with all effects turned off, does turning on the buffer change your signal level?

The buffer has no gain on its own. What's likely happening is that you have a problem in your system somewhere and the buffer is compensating for it, bringing the signal level up to where it should be.

Let's start here... with all effects turned off, does turning on the buffer change your signal level?
Ok, this is weird. I've always had all three buffers on, always.

With no loops on, buffer 2 has no volume difference. With loops 2 or 3 on there is a volume difference. But this wasn't happening until last night when I updated FW to 4.7 so weird.

With buffer 2 off everything behaves like it used to. I'm running a Kingtone Duelist in loops 2 & 3 (in split mode - one side per loop) and it happens with either loop on. Never done that before. The insert cables for the Kingtone are a month old, and haven't been causing any issues, but I suspect that's the first place I should look?

Ok, next step is to unplug the pedal (and its cables) from loops 2 and 3 and make sure that the problem doesn't happen with the loops on but the pedal disconnected. (It shouldn't happen, I would be very surprised if it did).

I don't know anything about that pedal, so I can't say whether it's a factor. Bad cables are a frequent cause. I recommend trying just one side of the pedal in one loop using standard cables and see if that changes anything.

Also, do you have any stereo pedals in your system, and how do you have the buttons set on the rear of the PBC/10?

Ok, next step is to unplug the pedal (and its cables) from loops 2 and 3 and make sure that the problem doesn't happen with the loops on but the pedal disconnected. (It shouldn't happen, I would be very surprised if it did).

I don't know anything about that pedal, so I can't say whether it's a factor. Bad cables are a frequent cause. I recommend trying just one side of the pedal in one loop using standard cables and see if that changes anything.

Also, do you have any stereo pedals in your system, and how do you have the buttons set on the rear of the PBC/10?
Ran these scenarios and it’s the pedal. Weird that it was fine until last night when I did the FW update on the PBC. Same pedal settings as yesterday have completely different results.

I do have stereo pedals in loops 8, 9 and 10. Buttons are "out" and "out".

I do have stereo pedals in loops 8, 9 and 10. Buttons are "out" and "out".

It still seems like there should be a fix for this, it's just hard to pinpoint where the impedance issue is coming from. The pedal is likely sensitive to low input impedances, and it's finding a low impedance somewhere down the signal chain. The buffer is fixing the impedance issue. At least, that's my best guess.

Do you have buffer #3 turned on? Does turning it on or off make any difference (either with buffer 2 on or buffer 2 off)?

It still seems like there should be a fix for this, it's just hard to pinpoint where the impedance issue is coming from. The pedal is likely sensitive to low input impedances, and it's finding a low impedance somewhere down the signal chain. The buffer is fixing the impedance issue. At least, that's my best guess.

Do you have buffer #3 turned on? Does turning it on or off make any difference (either with buffer 2 on or buffer 2 off)?
I'll have to do some more digging. I did try it with buffer 3 off and on, and it made no difference. So weird.

Back