sounds like loose screw inside

spiritledd

I was gonna vacuum carpet ...picked up GT and I could hear what sounds like a loose screw in there ...I guess take it apart and see where it may have come from and put back in? ...is there any thing I should know first?

Sounds iike one of the screws have worked loose. It should be pretty easy to get inside and put it back in. I recommend doing it in some place where you can ground yourself, though - somewhere you can touch a water pipe, amp chassis, or something else that provides a ground. Static electricity and electronics don't mix, and when it gets colder and drier out, static is a big deal.

Somewhere along the line, we started putting a dab of blue Loctite on each screw before installing - that keeps the screws vibrating loose. While you're in there, you might want to consider doing that on your GT.

Hi Ron

I've been getting loose screws in my GT16 recently..seems to happen every 2 months. Would i just put the Loctite on each screw and then tighten them?

What we're doing now is putting a small drop of blue Loctite in each standoff (where the screws thread in), and then putting in the screws. We've found it's a bit less messy than putting it on the screws themselves.

Hi Ron

I just opened up my GT and there were 3 screws which had come loose..all of which were underneath this white strip.

Just wanted to check if the white strip can be removed to access the screw holes and if so, how to do it safely?!

I've got the loctite ready so i'm thinking about using it on every screw in the unit.

Would i be safe to do this with a screw gun on every screw? Just want to make sure i don't damage the unit!

image.jpeg

Removing the ribbon cable is no problem. To do it, push the two black levers away from the cable (opposite directions) - the connector should pop out of the socket. To put it back in, just push the connector back into the socket. The black levers will pop back into place.

You can use a screw gun or electric screwdriver. Just make sure that you have the torque turned all the way down - you just need the screw to hit bottom, no tighter.

By the way, you don't need to use Loctite on the screws that secure the CPU board (the one stacked on top of the upper row of displays). Those screw into aluminum standoffs, which seem to hold the screws just fine, probably because aluminum is soft. Using Loctite on those makes it a little too hard to remove them if needed. It's not impossible to remove, but more challenging than I'd like. It makes it more likely to damage the screws or standoffs.

That happens to me now an again on my GT22. I ended up going in a tightening up everything. Everything is fine at the moment.

Sorry to hi jack the thread but seeing as we are talking about this, One thing that's happened and i'm not sure how is a speck of something has gone under the main lcd screen at the top. Is there anyway to get that out Ron without damaging anything? I can live with it its not a problem. Just seeing if there was an easy fix for it or not?

Cheers

Paul

The easiest way to deal with it is using a can of compressed air (often sold as keyboard duster). Just open the PBC and use the can with the straw that comes with it to get between the display and the case and blow it out. That avoids a lot of additional disassembly you'd need to do otherwise.

The easiest way to deal with it is using a can of compressed air (often sold as keyboard duster). Just open the PBC and use the can with the straw that comes with it to get between the display and the case and blow it out. That avoids a lot of additional disassembly you'd need to do otherwise.

Thanks Ron,

I managed to spray the LCD with the compressed air. It got rid of the dirt that was there but its left a little smeer. Not that I will notice when its powered up and it may even go off over time. I'm guessing there's no way to get in there without taking the GT apart?

Oh and one more thing, the previous owner who had my GT managed to round one go the screws off holding in the front panel. I managed to drill it out so I'll need a replacement screw. Could you let me know the size and type by any chance? that way I can check to see if I can find them over here in the UK.

Thanks again

Paul

If there is a smear, then you'll have to take the circuit boards out to get to the lens.

When you say front panel, do you mean the screws that secure the top half of the enclosure, or the screws that secure the circuit board? The outer screws are 8-32 flat head screws and the inner are 6-32 pan head screws. Both have American threads, which may be herd to get where you are. I can send you some if needed.

If there is a smear, then you'll have to take the circuit boards out to get to the lens.

When you say front panel, do you mean the screws that secure the top half of the enclosure, or the screws that secure the circuit board? The outer screws are 8-32 flat head screws and the inner are 6-32 pan head screws. Both have American threads, which may be herd to get where you are. I can send you some if needed.

Thanks Ron,

It's the outer screws that hold the front panel in. One of them was rounded off by the previous owner. I managed to drill it out so just need a replacement. A couple of the others are pretty suspect as well. I'm not sure why people don't take more care with equipment like this.

I've sent you an email regarding this anyway.

Thanks again

Paul

Last edited:
Back