Source Audio One Series MIDI question

jjtguitar

I am looking to integrate a Source Audio C4 Synth into my rig, but as I am out of audio loops I want to place it in front of the PBC and control it via MIDI (I just got the new SA-168 MIDI adapter). I have done a few tests and I have got the MIDI communication working.

I already have 200+ presets that I have created for a wedding/function band I'm in. To add the C4 Synth to the rig I think that I am going to have to go into each preset and add a CC Toggle Preset Action for CC#102 (which controls engage/bypass of the pedal), with a value of 0-64 if I want the pedal bypassed or 65-127 if I want the pedal engaged. Program change will also need to be set as required.

I just wanted to check here if anyone knows of an easier or better way to utilise a MIDI controlled pedal outside of the audio loops? Or if there is a quicker or easier way for me to add the Preset Action? I can't see a way to copy and paste :D

My recommendation is to never use preset actions unless there's no other way to do what you're trying to accomplish.

Program changes should be set in the PC Message section of the Presets tab. Select a preset, go to the C4 box and set a preset number there. It's a little faster than adding preset actions.

For bypass, create an IA button that sends the bypass message. Turn on Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change on the button. Then, in the Presets tab, program the button to turn on on each preset where it needs to be turned on. It will default to off in every preset, so you don't need to do anything in presets where the pedal is off. Aside from being much faster than creating Preset Actions, this also gives you a button that you can use to turn the pedal on and off manually.

This, my friends, is why RJM are the best!

Thanks for the advice. Preset actions removed!

I have created an IA button that sends the bypass message, and it works, but I can't yet seem to get it to bypass/engage with presets that I want it to? The IA button is definitely changing states when programmed to go from bypass to engage (off/on). I'm wondering if I'm using the "wrong" bypass message?

The C4 Synth has the following CC actions mapped out of the factory:

ParameterCC#ValueDescription
External Tap Tempo930-127Externally control the LFO rate
External Expression Control1000-127Assign parameters with Neuro Editor
Engage/Bypass1020-1270-64 Bypass, 65-127 Engage
Preset Recall (Off)1030-127Recalls any preset in bypass
Preset Recall (On)1040-127Recalls any preset engaged
Engage/Bypass Toggle105any

I have tried both Engage/Bypass CC#102 and Engage/Bypass Toggle CC#105 for the IA button. I want the "ON" of the IA button to match the pedal being engaged, and that seems to work with CC#102 best. I tested with CC#105 (Toggle), but if the C4 Synth was turned on or off from it's physical footswitch, the IA button would not "catch up" to the state of the pedal. When receiving CC#102 the C4 Synth will do nothing if it is already engaged and gets the "engage" message from the PBC.

So I'm able to control the C4 Synth with the IA button, but I haven't been able to get it to engage/bypass within presets yet.

I have a Source Audio Ventris, which I think uses the same set of CC values. CC102 is almost certainly what you want. The other CC won’t really work when trying to program presets. At least in my experience.

Do you have Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change turned on on your IA button? If they are, then you should be able to go through your PBC presets (either in the editor or on the PBC itself) and set your C4 on/off button on or off as desired. If you’re doing it on the PBC itself, make sure to store the changes to each preset as you go. I think in the editor you should be able to make a bunch of changes and then write the changes to device.

Send on Preset Change and Update State on Preset Change are turned on for the IA button. I've got it set to CC#102. The C4 IA button is on it's own button page along with PC+/- buttons, and I'll add more IA switches to recall favourite patches soon. The C4 Synth is responding to the bypass/engage button, but only when I press the actual IA button.

When I select a preset in a song that is meant to engage the C4, the C4 IA button has changed states from off to on (I have two different colours set for off and on state to help check), but the pedal itself doesn't engage.

Here is my settings file, if that helps.

I don't think this should be an issue, but I have put the C4 Synth at the end of the chain of MIDI pedals. As I don't have the right adapters to use the MIDI through on the SA-168 MIDI adapter, I'm just putting it at the end of the chain, removing my Free the Tone Future Factory delay from the MIDI chain (which also doesn't have a MIDI out or through). I've check each device is on it's own MIDI channel, and they all are. The absence of the Future Factory shouldn't matter, because the messages going to it will just be ignored by all the other devices.

I am purchasing a RJM Multibox to solve these issues today!

Attachments

• HUMP PBC H9.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I have a bunch of Source Audio pedals and an RJM PBC. When I want one of them to be engaged with a specific preset, I use CC# 104 with the preset number. I send CC# 102 with the off value to the ones I want to be bypassed.

I have a bunch of Source Audio pedals and an RJM PBC. When I want one of them to be engaged with a specific preset, I use CC# 104 with the preset number. I send CC# 102 with the off value to the ones I want to be bypassed.

I just bought the EQ2 and was wondering if you’ve tried an expression pedal with your SA gear? I have a bunch of expression pedals including the Mission RJM but wondered if I needed the SA pedal? I’m looking to use it for EQ adjustments on the fly. I’ve searched the SA site and read their manual but it’s not clear. I’d love to use the Mission RJM pedal if possible.

I just bought the EQ2 and was wondering if you’ve tried an expression pedal with your SA gear? I have a bunch of expression pedals including the Mission RJM but wondered if I needed the SA pedal? I’m looking to use it for EQ adjustments on the fly. I’ve searched the SA site and read their manual but it’s not clear. I’d love to use the Mission RJM pedal if possible.

Yep. I use a Dunlop DVP4 Volume (X) expression pedal with an PBC 6/x and Source Audio pedals. For most of my presets I'm using it to control the volume of an EQ2 to make it basically a volume pedal. I've also configured it on another preset to control the delay time on a Nemesis. No issues so far.

Hi, back again with another Source Audio One Series MIDI question.
I've just got an EQ2 and I'm trying to implement it into my rig the same as the C4 previously in this thread. Out of the loops, bypass and preset selection controlled via MIDI.
I copied the buttons that controlled my C4 and pasted them to new buttons, changed the settings so they point to the EQ2. They control the EQ2 fine, however I am having issues with the bypass. I mentioned above that I wanted the switcher and Source Audio pedal to "sync" when it came to bypass, and the settings suggested above work for the C4. If the pedal is bypassed, and the PBC10 also says bypass, but I manually turn on the pedal (therefore making the bypass states on the switcher and the pedal "out of sync"), when I cycle the switcher button, it "catches up" to the state of the pedal - in my case I have bypass set to white and engaged to green.
I cannot get this to work with the EQ2 yet, with exactly the same settings. Not sure what I'm missing.
My second problem (which may be linked to my above issue) is that presets on the PBC that should recall a patch on the EQ2 and engage the pedal are not. The engage light flicks on and off, and the correct preset is recalled on the EQ2, but the pedal doesn't engage.
I'm figuring there must be something somewhere that I haven't set up properly, but I'm stumped as to what that is!

I've attached PBC10 settings file if that helps.

Attachments

• HUMP PBC AMPS.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I don't have experience with that pedal, but from looking at the manual, I see that there are 2 CCs for bypass, 101 for bypass and 102 for toggle bypass. You're using 102, which is going to cause problems, at the least the issue you're seeing where the pedal gets out of sync with the button that controls it. Switching to CC 101 should fix one or more problems that you're seeing.

Perfect! Thanks so much, that was the missing link that I had missed! Thank you again for your help, RJM once again proving that they are at the absolute pinnacle of customer service! I listened to your interview on an episode of the Chairmen of the Boards podcast, can't wait to find out what the upcoming products you hinted at are!

Back