SP1 exp-GT16-AFX3 setup

touch33

hmmmmm...

I’ve read up on the programming/spiritual mapping connection required between my Mission SP1 expression pedal and my GT16 to control multiple vol/wah/whammy/trem-speed functions on my AFX3. SP1 is currently plugged into XP1/SW1 ports on GT16.

I think I’d like to use the SP1 toe switch to turn the pedal on/off, with the EXT SW1 “IA Linked” to a “regular button” labeled PEDAL. I’d like the “hold” feature of this PEDAL button to control an “IA Cycle” function that selects which of the four “purposes” PEDAL gets used for.

Questions:

1) are there any specific/recommended EXT controller numbers (in the AFX3) that typically get used for each function? For example, EXT15=wah, EXT16=vol, etc? Obviously, they need to match whatever routing is used in my Presets (mostly AustinBuddy, but there are lots of others), but I assume I can alter my PEDAL programming on a per-preset basis if needed.

2) in addition to the PEDAL button, I plan on using other specific block control buttons to determine which A/B/C/D channel each block is set to — a WAH button whose “hold” is an IA Cycle, a VOL button, a WHAMMY button, etc.

3) I’ve yet to figure out how the PEDAL button on/off function would be programmed, especially since I’d like it to turn ON to whatever the IA Cycle “hold” button is presently set to — so that if the PEDAL button “hold” shows “WAH” when PEDAL=OFF then pressing PEDAL=ON would activate only WAH and not the other three functions.

I’m sure that there are subtleties I haven’t thought of, or maybe even A Better Way to do this. Any suggestions/guidance/clues/links shall be most appreciated!

Cheers,
Bruce

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do conditional operations like that. You can have the pedal button turn on one effect block, or many effect blocks, but you can't have it turn on a block based on the setting of another button.

Thanks, Ron. I've re-read my post, and I see what you mean about it needing conditionals. Drat...

How about this: create a NORMAL button ("PEDAL") with IACycle function steps of:

1) OFF (a non-used CC, let's say CC=14)
2) WAH (CC=15)
3) VOL (CC=16)
4) WHAMMY (CC=17)

I'm guessing I'd create four ExtPdl's (like ExtPdl1=CC14 mapped to nothing in AFX3, ExtPdl2=CC15 mapped to WAH, ExtPdl3=CC16 mapped to VOL and ExtPdl4=CC17 mapped to WHAMMY) and then program PEDAL so that each press moves from ExtPdl1 to ExtPdl2/3/4 and back to ExtPdl1 again in a (wait for it...) cycle? I'm also guessing that the values for each would be MIN=0/MAX=127 except for maybe CC=14 could have both MIN and MAX =0?

Assuming any of the above would work, do I also need to insert multiple actions in each Step to set the non-used CC's back to 0 when I set the desired CC to 127?

Last question: If I set the SP1/ExtSw1 button and the PEDAL button to have an IA Link, will pressing the SP1 switch work the same as pressing the PEDAL button, i.e. each SP1 press steps the cycle?

Am I completely out in the woods here?

Cheers,
Bruce

For the "off" setting, you can set Device or CC Number to be None, that will disable it entirely.

For the value 0 thing, it depends... To me, it seems like it would make sense to send CC value 0 to the effect block bypass instead of changing the external controller to a specific value.

IA Link doesn't work on IA Cycle buttons currently. But, you can use the Set IA action to accomplish it. Set the IA ID on both buttons to the same non-zero number. Then add a Set IA to each step.

For example, if your buttons' IA IDs are set to 1:

System / ExpPdl #1 off:none on:0
System / Set IA #1 off:none on:0
System / Step
System / ExpPdl #1 off:none on:1
System / Set IA #1 off:none on:1
System / Step
...etc...

Doing a Set IA with value 0 sets the IA buttons to step 1, value 1 sets step 2, etc.

Back