SP1-RJM with Mastermind PBC and Axe FX III

Derek McCarthy

Hello,

I recently picked up an Axe FX III and have it successfully connected and working with my Mastermind PBC.

However, I'm having issues getting my SP1-RJM expression pedal working. I don't know if this is a PBC or Axe FX III config issue so I'm reaching out here for help..

I followed this guide on the GT forums, in particular the section on Expression Pedal setup.

http://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index...ermind-gt-with-an-axe-fx-iii.3400/#post-16807

I'll go over everything a few more times in case I missed something but before I drive myself too crazy I'm just wondering if there's something I should be doing differently on the PBC vs the GT?

Thanks,

Derek

Setup should be the same in PBC and GT. Does the pedal get through calibration ok, and if you turn on "Show Expression Pedal" in global settings, do you see a bar graph move on the screen when you use the pedal?

OK, I got it sorted out. Looks like the PBC had a default CC of 7 for the expression pedal - I was using CC 11 as per the guide. It can be changed in either the PBC or the Axe FX so it was just a matter of matching it up on one or the other.

However, I have a few other questions regarding the SP1-RJM that I was hoping for some help with. It's behaved like this since I purchased it (before the Axe FX) but I haven't gotten around to isolating what I'm doing wrong.

I have OUT1 going to 'Exp Pedal' on the PBC and OUT2 to 'Ext SW input'. It calibrates fine and appears to work - but the Red LED never turns on, even if I hit the button. When is it supposed to turn on? The button also doesn't appear to change anything. Out of curiosity I reversed the cables (OUT1 to 'Ext SW input' and OUT2 to 'Exp Pedal') and the Red LED stays on permanently. But when connected like this I cannot calibrate - it tries to calibrate.. maybe allows for 1/4 sweep and the calibration tool closes on me. So... what am I doing wrong? :)

Last edited:
The external switch needs to be set up to do anything, it doesn't do anything right out of the box. If you use the editor, you can set it up to perform any function that the internal buttons can.

Back