Startup Macro?

rmackmusic

Loaded up 4.0 last week and loving the new features (especially MidiClock "Auto" setting!).

I'm trying to create a startup macro to send an "on" message to my Empress Tremolo 2.

On the macros page I've created a macro with a CC toggle action to CC36 on the Tremolo 2 (the bypass function). I've selected "Force State To: On"

On the Global page I've assigned this macro as the startup macro but on power up the T2 is not turning on as I expected.

All of the pedals and the PBC are powered by one source so they all power on at the same time.

Do you also have a button assigned to send CC36 to the Tremolo? I'm wondering if it's sending a CC that turns the Tremolo off, overriding the startup macro...

No, I have the Tremolo in an audio loop so I manually press its bypass switch after power-up.

I have the PBC expression pedal controlling the Depth.
It also receives the MidiClock and Program Changes for presets from the PBC.
No MIDI CC's mapped.

Is it possible the PBC is firing the CC message before the pedal is "ready" to receive it?

No, I have the Tremolo in an audio loop so I manually press its bypass switch after power-up.

I have the PBC expression pedal controlling the Depth.
It also receives the MidiClock and Program Changes for presets from the PBC.
No MIDI CC's mapped.

Is it possible the PBC is firing the CC message before the pedal is "ready" to receive it?

Yes, that's entirely possible. Does it seem like it takes a while to start up?

It seems to power up at the same time as the PBC but it's also being fed MIDI through the Empress MIDI box (which is also powered) so who knows if there is a slight lag somewhere.

Maybe as a work around, can I add the Macro to Preset 1 (default preset)?

It seems to power up at the same time as the PBC but it's also being fed MIDI through the Empress MIDI box (which is also powered) so who knows if there is a slight lag somewhere.

Maybe as a work around, can I add the Macro to Preset 1 (default preset)?

I'm not sure that would help - everything happens pretty quickly on startup. There's an easy way to test this, though - unplug the PBC (only the PBC) and make sure that the Tremolo is power on, but bypassed. Now, plug in the PBC and see if it activates the Tremolo.

I tried to do this same thing with my Source Audio EQ. I figured it was just taking too long to power up. I’ll try what Ron suggests above. Good idea.

I'm not sure that would help - everything happens pretty quickly on startup. There's an easy way to test this, though - unplug the PBC (only the PBC) and make sure that the Tremolo is power on, but bypassed. Now, plug in the PBC and see if it activates the Tremolo.

I tested this and still no response from the Tremolo pedal...

I've uploaded my editor file if you want to check it out.

Attachments

• PBC 011118.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Try going to preset 1 and turning off the checkbox in the Tremolo box in the PC Messages section. Maybe the Tremolo doesn't respond to messages that come right after a program change? (I've seen other devices with this problem).

Huh, I'm running a Source EQ as well but fortunately for me, I guess, it powers up "on."

Weird. Mine powers up but is not engaged at all. Granted, it doesn’t really matter bc as soon as I send the first PC message to it, it changes presets AND engages. I just thought it looked good when the board was completely lit up when powered on, haha.

Weird. Mine powers up but is not engaged at all. Granted, it doesn’t really matter bc as soon as I send the first PC message to it, it changes presets AND engages. I just thought it looked good when the board was completely lit up when powered on, haha.
Yeah, I realize now that on Preset 1 I do send a PC of "0" to the EQ which turns it on in the first preset.
So it does power "on" when I power up the entire board.

Try going to preset 1 and turning off the checkbox in the Tremolo box in the PC Messages section. Maybe the Tremolo doesn't respond to messages that come right after a program change? (I've seen other devices with this problem).
I tried the suggestion but still no response from the Tremolo.

I did get it to work by removing the startup macro and adding the CC action on the Preset Actions to Preset 1 (my default preset).

So now on power up the Tremolo loads up in the "on" position - my OCD is soothed for the time being!

I am having a similar issue. I tried to set some program changes to my Mobius, Timeline, and H9 to set the preset when the PBC starts up and it doesn't happen I then set a button to fire the same macro and that worked fine so i think the startup macro trigger is not working on startup. I tested with all pedals on and power cycling the PBC.

I'm having this same issue. I have the Flux Effects Liquid Tremolo and Macro 0 sends a CC message to engage the bypass switch. What's weird is that it was working before and now it isn't -- I have to manually turn on the pedal. The only thing that I can think changed is that I updated the Current Set List (on the Globals tab) to All Songs, and then back to a particular set list. Unfortunately, the option to power it on as a CC Action in the first preset is a bit cumbersome for me as I update my set list almost every week and don't want to have to put that CC Action into the first preset of every song in my song library. Is there another global workaround?

Has anyone been able to monitor the MIDI output of the PBC to see if the message is actually coming out? That would tell us a lot.

Back