Strange attenuation running parallel loops on PBC10

Meanoldfireman

I'm stumped. Most of my recent builds have been with 6x's. I really wanted to have tails preserved on a board with two H9's, so I went with a PBC10 for this one.

The issue is that when I have the loops in parallel, A above middle C is attenuated. No. It's not the guitar. It doesn't seem to be the devices. It doesn't make sense that it would be the PBC, but I'm at a loss to what else it could be. Has anyone run into any thing like this?

Only attenuated at that frequency? That's odd for sure, but in a parallel setup, phase cancellation is a frequent issue. It could be that. Does it happen on all presets, or only on certain ones? Are you running any dry signal through the pedals, or is there a separate path? Best results come from having the pedals set to kill dry or 100% wet, and routing a separate dry signal around the the pedals and into the mixer. Time based effects like delay and reverb are going to be more successful in parallel than other effects.

Yes, it's just that one frequency. (At first I though it was the guitar, but no.) It's on every preset I've tried so far. I am running dry signal through the pedals. I'll trying killing that. I'll keep you posted. It's pretty odd, to say the least.

Hi Ron:
Yup! That was it. The H9's don't like the second dry path. I would have thought it would have messed with more than one frequency, but I thought wrong. Thanks!

When running an analog dry path alongside a pedal that has a digital dry path, the digital side is typically delayed by a couple of milliseconds. This produces a flanging effect, creating frequency notches. There is probably more than one frequency attenuated, but they might be out of the range that you were producing/listening for.

Back