Strange scene behavior

greiswig

I'm using this with my AxeFX, and have no problems most of the time working around this bug if that's what it is. But it's starting to get in the way on a couple of songs. I'm using two buttons to switch from the main scene on a preset (Scene 1) to either Scene 2 or Scene 3. They work fine for that using CC Toggle 34 for each. Toggling the button for Scene 3 goes from Scene 1 to 3 and back, just like I would expect.

But if I go from Scene 2 to Scene 3, then hit the button to go back to Scene 2 again...it goes to Scene 1 instead, and I can see it cycle through Scene 2 on the way there. But the GT Shows it having Scene 2 selected, so it is misleading.

Is there a way to have it go to the previous scene, rather than going to Scene 1 every time? Like maybe having a "Previous" option in the "Off Value" area instead of just "None" or 1-127? Thank you!!!

No, there's no previous option for CCs. It wouldn't really help the situation anyway.

This could either be an Axe-Fx issue or a GT issue. It would be really helpful if you could monitor the MIDI thru of the Axe-Fx it would tall us what's actually being sent by the GT.

No, there's no previous option for CCs. It wouldn't really help the situation anyway.

I don't see why it wouldn't help; I think since the AxeFX views Scene 1 as "default" for a preset, the Off toggle state just goes back to there, not to where it left off. If it could go to the previous scene instead...that should fix my issue.

This could either be an Axe-Fx issue or a GT issue. It would be really helpful if you could monitor the MIDI thru of the Axe-Fx it would tall us what's actually being sent by the GT.
. I'll see if I can figure out how. Thanks!

Well, I tried using the only tool I have, Midi-Ox, but I can't seem to get a log of the output from the AxeFX.

As I said, I think this is simply a case where the "Off" state goes to the device default scene, Scene 1. But it shouldn't, because I've hit a toggle button that is asking for a different Scene #.
Step 1: Preset is on Scene 1
Step 2: Hit Toggle On Scene 3 - preset is on Scene 3
Step 3. Hit Toggle On Scene 2 - preset goes to Scene 1, not 2.

BTW, if you have an Axe-FX II (not XL), then MIDI Thru has to be turned on in settings for the output to act as a thru. You can also just connect the computer directly to the GT MIDI output to monitor it - I don't expect the Axe-Fx's thru to be any different than what's going into its input. If it was, something would be very wrong indeed.

Ok, I see the problem. Let's say you're on Lead, then you press Clean. The Clean button turns on, sending its On value (scene 2). But, the Lead button also turns off, sending its Off value (scene 1). The latter happens last, so that's where you end up. To fix it, either set the Off values for those buttons to None, or turn off the "Send Off Messages" checkbox for group 4. Probably the latter makes the most sense, because it will prevent the problem from happening no matter how many scene buttons you add to the group.

See, THIS is why I love this device and the company! Exactly what I needed once again. Thank you, Ron! Works great now.

Back