Struggling to set up a cc to bypass an insert in Eventide H90

spikeymcspikeface

It's possibly me being daft, but I've tried everything I can think of, and I can't get what feels like it ought to be a really simple thing to work ...

All I want to do is have the ability to toggle the bypass on / off for Insert #1 of my H90. FYI it's a Noise Gate (sitting in H90's Insert #1), so I want the default for it to be on in relevant Presets (ie. generally higher gain patches), with the option to bypass it when I need to (eg. sometimes, gates being what they are, it kills the sustain earlier than I'd want).

So, I've set up the External Control in the H90 editor so cc10 toggles Insert #1 Active / Bypass. In the MMGT editor I've added an IA button to relevant Presets, which sends a momentary 0 / 127 to H90 via cc10. It works successfully to toggle Insert #1 on / off. So far so good. But ...

If I switch between two Programs that have this IA button, the state of the Active / Bypass won't change. Eg. I select Preset 1, use the IA to bypass Insert #1 on the H90; then select Preset 2, but instead of defaulting to active, the Insert #1 state remains bypassed.

I've tried all sorts of combinations of 'Send on Preset Change' / 'Update on Preset Change' / 'Only On Messages' / etc, but nothing seems to allow me to fix the default for each Preset to Insert #1 active.

Any ideas what am doing wrong ?!?

Thanks one & all.

Is the IA button that controls the insert visibly switching to on when you change presets?

FYI, it should be Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change both turned on, and Only On Messages turned off.

Hi Ron - thanks for the prompt reply (as ever).

Yes, the IA defaults to on. But if I bypass the H90 Insert in one Present, then when I change Preset it stays bypassed until I select the IA a second time; so essentially a toggle.

TBH, having fiddled around with it now, I think the issue is with the H90 - the bypass CC is basically acting like a virtual momentary footswitch, so each time it receives cc=127 it changes state, whether that be from bypass to active or vice versa. What it's not doing is accepting cc=0 as bypass and cc=127 as active. It's just a slightly irritating functionality (or lack of). Ho hum.

That's unfortunate that they did it that way - that always makes it harder to control using presets. It's weird that they would do it that way, when they did it the right way in the H9. I recommend mentioning this to Eventide, they might correct it.

Hi Ron, yes it is unfortunate - makes life unnecessarily complicated.

Anyway, FYI Eventide have confirmed that the cause of my problem is exactly what I thought - that the only way to MIDI control the state of an insert on the H90 is currently a simple 'on/off toggle' (a CC of 127 simply toggles from whichever state the insert was in - ie. on > off, or off > on); what there isn't is a '0=off / 127 = on' CC command. However, they've said this is a planned functionality in a future firmware update - they've not said when that will be, but the wording seemed to suggest it's in the pipeline now, so hopefully soon'ish.

Thanks again for your brilliant support.

Back