Strymon DIG "Mix 2" not Recalled with Function Switch

recordingpro

Let me explain:

So I'm trying to use my Strymon DIG to be set up to have a Slapback most of the time, but when I want to do leads and fun stuff, I have a Flange setting that I can recall when I use my Strymon Mini Switch. It works flawlessly with the Strymon switch, but when I go to integrate it into my PBC 6x, and I use FnSw #1 to recall my favorite Flange setting on the DIG, the "Mix 2" is not recalled and I'm left with basically a modulated quarter delay sound. I've tried everything I can think of, but I'm at a loss. Is there something special about the Strymon switch that the PBC 6x just is not capable of? I've even opened up the Strymon switch and it just looks pretty simple, but I'm no expert in electronics. Am I going to have to use the Strymon switch?

I should also add that the FnSw on the PBC works fine if I want to set my DIG up for external tap tempo. It's just the favorite setting not recalling the "Mix 2" setting. It's just really strange that it only recalls part of the preset.

Here's my config file if that helps. I'm using "Switches" page to test it with your stock FnSw 1 setting.

Attachments

• MyRig_20211016.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
You don't have the pedal configured in your file as a device. You should add the device and midi channel to match the midi channel on the pedal so the pedal can receive commands from the PBC.

You don't have the pedal configured in your file as a device. You should add the device and midi channel to match the midi channel on the pedal so the pedal can receive commands from the PBC.
I don't think the Dig has MIDI, just a 1/4-inch input that can be programmed to control certain things from a function switch.

It appears that your PBC's function switch is working. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm going to have to refer you to Strymon on that one - they should be able to answer your question on whether their switch differs from a basic short-to-ground switch like the PBC has.

Thanks guys. And yea…the DIG doesn’t have MIDI. Anyway, I opened up the Strymon favorite switch and there’s definitely more than basic wizardry going on in that little switch, so I’ll ping strymon and let you know what I find out. In the meantime, I just found a nice little spot on my board for their switch.

As a side note, I wonder if anyone else finds it kind of strange that I use my DIG for slapback and this crazy ambient flange sound. I haven’t found a better sounding slapback from a pedal, and that flange is stupid good!

!!UPDATE!!

So I received this back from Strymon today:

Hello Benjamin,

Thanks for supporting Strymon!

Do you know whether the FnSw from your RJM can be changed between momentary and latching? The reason it is most likely working with the DIG is because when the EXP jack is set for Tap Tempo it needs to be sent the signal from a momentary switch, but when controlling the Favorite it needs to be sent as latching. If you can switch that this should work.

All the best,

Austin Linkous

I'm pretty sure I played with the "momentary" checkbox, but maybe that's not the same thing. Ron, can you answer this for me?

I spent last night dinking around with this issue and the only conclusion I could come to was to use the Strymon MiniSwitch.

I did get this back from Strymon:
Hey Ben,

In terms of how MiniSwitch functions compared to other switches, there isn't a difference mechanically. It is still functioning as a latching or momentary switch depending on which setting it is on.

Is it possible that the EXP jack settings got switched or the favorite did when going from the MiniSwitch to the RJM?

All the best,

Austin Linkous​

I'm not sure what's going on here. All I know is that Mix 2 is left out when I use the PBC. If anyone out there has a Strymon DIG and wants to show me what I'm doing wrong, I'm all ears, but until then, I guess I'll just use the Strymon Switch.

Create one momentary button on one of your pages and test, not a preset or on hold button, just a simple function button. Does it work? If not test these things below.

You could plug a cable into the DIG, and temporarily close then open the other side of the cable end (Short the end (close) then remove the short (open)...use a paper clip or piece of wire on the opposite end of the cable). That will replicate a momentary button.

If that works, test the function switch from the PBC by using a multi-meter on continuity setting. It will visually (and audibly if you have a meter that emits sound on closing) show the switch (button) open/close when you press the button.

Thanks! I'll try this evening after I put the kiddos to bed. I sent one more email to Strymon, asking them if they wouldn't mind just trying a third party latching switch if they had one laying around, because the RJM switch is clearly changing the setting. Just not ALL of it (leaving the Mix 2 in the dust).

Taking the cable and shorting the end will recreate the test your requesting. Btw…make sure the cable is a good known cable.
You can also verify the strymon switch is functioning the same as the pbc too…test with a meter the trs of that cable (assuming it’s trs)with just the strymon switch…take note of the trs configuration of the strymon with the cable. It should match the configuration of the pbc when the cable your using is connected to the pbc…if it’s not the cable configuration needs to be corrected to match the strymon switch and cable.

Ok I took the same cable that was plugged into the Strymon MiniSwitch and I unplugged it from the MiniSwitch and shorted it with a paper clip and then removed the paper clip. It had the same effect.....Mix 2 still missing. I know that replicates "momentary", but is that also a sufficient test to replicate "latching"? I also tried the momentary button on the RJM and got the same results. I'm starting to think that the guy I'm talking to at Strymon just doesn't know what this magical MiniSwitch switch does because I'm at a loss. In the meantime, I have a freed up FnSw on my board now. Any ideas how I should use it? The only other pedals on my board that could use it, would be one of my GFI Specular Tempuses, but they are both already controlled with Midi, but maybe there is something fun I could do with the Aux In port.

Ok I got another correspondence from Strymon and I think I've reached the end of my line with them:

Hey Ben,

We were able to use an external switch and it worked totally normally to recall the favorite and the MIX 2 knob settings with no issues. I'm not sure why the RJM is causing an issue. If this happened with the MiniSwitch and the RJM then I would say there was something wrong with DIG, but since it's functioning normally with that I'm not sure why.

Also, you are correct with the MIDI CC values. The manual has them backwards. We'll get that updated on the next revision of the manual for Compadre.

All the best,

Austin Linkous​

So, since I clearly can NOT get this thing to work, Ron, would you be so kind as to send me a settings file that will execute FnSw 1 as latching? I just want to be sure I'm not configuring something incorrect. I'll send you my config file when I get home tonight if that will help.

Latching would be leaving the paperclip shorting the circuit. Latching is non-momentary. So in the PBC case, don't tick momentary when programming the switch.

Non-momentary would be like switching your light on in a room as you walk in and the light stays on. If you had a momentary switch to turn a light on in a room, you'd have to hold that light switch on to keep the light on. As soon as you removed your hand from the light switch, the light would turn off.

Do you have a multimeter to test continuity? If you don't, get one for under 10.00 from a box store or online. It's a basic tool to test a switch. It can make future troubleshooting basic circuits simple and less mystified too (not to mention test cables). You could also use a continuity light to test switches too. I'd suggest a meter as it can be used for other things too (cables).

From the pedal, measuring at the cables end, what controls mix2? ...Tip to sleeve, Ring to sleeve, tip&Ring to sleeve etc...measure all configurations? You need a meter or a continuity light. When you measure all configurations and the meter's (or continuity light) response, note them when the pedal will control the mix2 as you want. Is the control latching or momentary. Strymons response seems to be latching.

If it works with strymons control pedal, I'd agree with Strymon, it sounds like you may not be using the correct configuration to replicate the strymon pedal's control. The pedal isn't going to have a special circuit to control the pedal if it states generic buttons work.

Good luck!

Back