Strymon Favorite Switch Issue

Terry Richalds

766d4d_433e8839c86b44c984511180580caff6.jpg

I have the Strymon Brigadier.
I set up my PBC to engage the Favorite setting on the Brigadier via Function Switch 3 on my PBC and set it to INV like Ron suggested in another thread.
I engage it with the Hold Function by holding down the IA switch for the Brigadier [Loop 7] which causes the Brigadier to toggle to my Favorite setting.
2 issues I'm having...

1) I have a realtime setting and tempo set on the Brig and when I switch it to the saved Favorite setting all is well. But when I return to the real-time (non-Favorite) setting the Tempo is flashing at about 200BPM. Every time. And I didn't tell the PBC to send any tempo information. Any way to stop that from happening?

2) When I switch Presets on the PBC my Brigadier always defaults back to the real-time (non-Favorite) setting. But sometimes I want the Favorite Switch to remain engaged when I bank to a new song. Any way I could program Function Switch 3 to NOT toggle the Brigadier when I change Presets on my PBC?

I've attached my Editor file if that's helpful.
Thanks so much everybody! - Paul

Attachments

• Pedalboard.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Set the button that controls Function Switch 3 to have "Update on Preset Change" turned off. That will prevent it from the preset change from affecting the button, and therefore the function switch.

Ok so apparently my Brigadier was set to Expression Pedal instead of the Favorite Switch function. So I'm an idiot. The weird tempo thing is sorted and completely my fault.

However the PBC is still telling my Brigadier to go back to Default (non-Favorite) setting when I switch Presets.
I did turn off "Update on Preset Change" for the Hold Function (Favorite Switch) on the Brigadier button.
The PBC Favorite setting stays on in appearance (White) but the Brigadier changes back to the non-Favorite setting.
I then have to hold the Brigadier button again so it changes back to the normal setting (Green).
But there is no click from Function Switch 3 and the Brig doesn't change because it's already ON the normal setting from when I changed Presets on the PBC.
But I don't want that.

What's going on?

You have four buttons that control Function Switch 3:

1). Hold Function on Mute button, page 1
2). Hold Function on Mute button, page 2
3). FN3 button on page 3
4). Hold Function on Mute button, page 4

If any of those are unneeded, disable the hold function on the relevant button (set Button Mode to Normal). Any buttons that you want to still control Function Switch 3 need to have Update on Preset Change turned off and IA Link turned on. (the latter keeps all of the buttons in sync so that turning on one turns all of them on).

The Mute button is only on Page 1 on MY layout and should NOT have a Hold Function attached to it.
The Switches button on Pages 1, 2 and 3 DO have that identical Brigadier dual control that I was hoping to have for different purposes on each page.

However I DID disable the Hold Functions on all of the Pages except Page 1 and the problem is still persisting.
Brigadier switches back to Normal when I change PBC Presets.
But the PBC appears to still be on the Favorite setting.

So somehow the click in Function Switch 3 is taking place when I switch Presets on the PBC even though I don't think I have it programmed to do so. I'm confused? Here's my Layout again. (Sorry I made Page 4 my Routing Page now)

Could it be something to do with my PBC Presets settings? Something they're doing to Function Switch 3?

Attachments

• Pedalboard.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Ok, in the most recent file you posted, the Switches button on page 1 has a hold function that activates Function Switch 3. And, on page 4, the FN3 button also controls Function Switch 3.

If you want the favorite switch to remain unchanged when you change presets, you need to turn off Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change for both of those buttons.

If you want to have the state of the Favorite switch change to a stored value when you change presets, like the PBC's loops do, then turn on Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change for both of those buttons.

In both cases, make sure IA Link is on for both buttons.

Ooooooook - I think I'm finally understanding. Settings on one Page directly affect settings on another Page that are identical and Presets are affected by all of it! Alright I'll have look again in the next day or 2. Thanks for being so dang smart and putting up with us Ron!

No problem, my goal is to make this stuff as intuitive and logical as possible, but it's very hard to do when also trying to make it versatile and full-featured. If I can't make it super-intuitive, then I need to do a bunch of explaining. :)

The most important things to keep in mind is that all buttons on all pages (up to the Max Page defined in global settings) will respond to preset changes if the Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change settings are turned on for those buttons.

"Intuitive" is an insane and humble understatement. You are like the Einstein of the Gear World. And the PBC is your Law Of Physics. I can't get enough of this switcher man. I'm just having TOOOOO much fun playing guitar with it. So thank you! I run a large board with hardware pedals right now into the Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+. Should I ever choose to surrender to the Fractal unit ONLY - you can be sure I'll go with the Mastermind GT/22... again. ;-) Customer for life.

Ok Ron - I did what you said and it's still not working.
So I deleted all buttons that controlled Function Switch 3 except for the Hold Function (Favorite Switch) for the Brigadier button on Page 1 and set the "Send On Preset Change" and "Update on Preset Change" OFF.
Still doing the same thing. Whenever I engage my Favorite Switch it switches to the saved setting on my Brigadier.
When I change PBC presets Loop 7 turns off and the Brig resets back to the non-Favorite setting even though the PBC is indicating that it's still in Favorite mode.

I hope I'm explaining my desire clearly. I've probably not been very elaborative...

- I'd love to bounce between PBC Presets with the option of having the Favorite Switch setting (Func 3) of my Brig stay on.
- When I switch between PBC Presets I have to re-engage the button every time - which I'm fine with because it's an IA button that isn't supposed to be saved to ON in every Preset.
- When I hold that button down to engage the Favorite Switch though - I'd love that setting to stay on regardless of switching PBC Presets. The PBC says the Brig is still on Favorite but is telling my Brig to go back to the unsaved control knobs setting every time.

If what I'm trying to do can't be achieved - then so be it.
Sorry I feel awful for beating this almost dead horse. :-/
Attached my latest Editor file.
Thanks so much! - Paul

Attachments

• Pedalboard.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Try setting update on preset change ON and and send on preset change OFF - that might do it. I'm not around the office right now, so I can't test it myself.

So with that setting - on a PBC Preset if I'm on the Favorite Switch setting (Hold Function - White) for my Brigadier and I switch Presets... the Brigadier will switch back to the non-Favorite controls and the PBC will ALSO change it's button setting back to the non-Favorite setting (Green).
So that means they're talking to each other correctly... but I still just DON'T WANT the Brig to leave the Favorite setting on the next PBC Preset haha!
I look forward to your testing it at the office.
For whatever reason the PBC insists on sending a pulse to the Brig to switch back to non-Favorite no matter what I command it to do

Ok, I see what's going on now. As it turns out, there's no way to get the function switches (or loops, outputs, etc) to remain in the state specified by an IA button when changing presets. You can lock them in one position using the audio settings, or you can change them for individual presets using overrides, but you can't get them to follow a button's state exclusively. I will think about how to make that an option.

Thank you Ron! Now I can sleep at night haha! I'll come up with a different approach from now on with the Favorite setting. Appreciate your help

I was just getting ready to do the same thing with my Strymon pedals......looking forward to a solution.
Mike

Back