Strymon Favorite Switching Question

Howdy Ron,

As you probably know, many of Strymon's effects can have a second setting accessed by their Favorite Switch. The Favorite Switch has an LED which is powered by the main pedal. My question is twofold:

1) Could one pair of the control switches be used to replicate this functionality?

2) If the above question is a go, would the power coming from the pedal do any damage to the electronics of the PBC?

Thanks!

I've been told that the Favorite switch will work with a standard footswitch, so it also should work with the PBC's outputs, one pedal connected to each switching jack. I will try to get a Strymon pedal in here and test it for myself.

There's no risk of damaging the PBC. Its relays can handle a lot of abuse.

No, I haven't yet. I will remember to get one in here. Someone else was going to test it for me, but I haven't heard back.

No, I haven't yet. I will remember to get one in here. Someone else was going to test it for me, but I haven't heard back.
This would be awesome if it works! I have a Flint, and a Deco. I love both of them, and was planning on buying a couple of favorite switches for them soon. I have to twist knobs a lot to get multiple sounds. Being able to automate this for patches would rock.

Sorry, forgot to update this. I tried it with a Lex and it works fine. I used a standard 1/4-inch cable from PBC to exp pedal input on the pedal. The switch is inverted - when the switch is off, the favorite setting is active, and when the switch is on, the setting on the knobs is active. You can fix this by turning on the "FN1 Invert" setting.

Sorry, forgot to update this. I tried it with a Lex and it works fine. I used a standard 1/4-inch cable from PBC to exp pedal input on the pedal. The switch is inverted - when the switch is off, the favorite setting is active, and when the switch is on, the setting on the knobs is active. You can fix this by turning on the "FN1 Invert" setting.
Such great news!

In this scenario, where is the cable from the small box Strymon connecting to the PBC? Func SW 1/2 or Func SW 3/4 (initially intended for channel switching on amps)? Lastly, this needs to be a TRS cable, correct?

thanks!

Yes, you'd use Func Sw 1/2 or Func Sw 3/4. You could use a standard 1/4-inch cable for the connection. You might be able to activate the favorite switch on two pedals from one function switch jack using an insert cable (TRS on one end, two TS on the other), but I'm not sure - you might get a ground loop. Looks like I need to get another Strymon pedal in here and try it out...

I did this too, with my DIG. Works just fine! Formidably integrating more non-MIDI stuff into the rig. Has anyone tried it on Neunaber pedals via their new cat5 -> TRS adapter cable? Would also make for 2 recallable presets.

I did this too, with my DIG. Works just fine! Formidably integrating more non-MIDI stuff into the rig. Has anyone tried it on Neunaber pedals via their new cat5 -> TRS adapter cable? Would also make for 2 recallable presets.

Awesome! I have a DIG as well as an el Capistan. Unfortunately, the el Capistan doesn't support external tap tempo (confirmed by them via email). Maybe if they release a V3 el Capistan they'll address that.

Awesome! I have a DIG as well as an el Capistan. Unfortunately, the el Capistan doesn't support external tap tempo (confirmed by them via email). Maybe if they release a V3 el Capistan they'll address that.

If you have a V2, it's really easy to have an external tap tempo jack installed. I had JHV3 do this to my Brigadier last year for about $50. :)

If you have a V2, it's really easy to have an external tap tempo jack installed. I had JHV3 do this to my Brigadier last year for about $50. :)

That's awesome! I just looked into it. I'm pretty certain I can do it myself. Would you mind doing me a favor though? Can you measure exactly where the jack is located (to the center of the hole)? I believe its on the left side near the tap tempo switch, but exact measurements would be helpful before I go drilling into a $300 pedal.

Yes, you'd use Func Sw 1/2 or Func Sw 3/4. You could use a standard 1/4-inch cable for the connection. You might be able to activate the favorite switch on two pedals from one function switch jack using an insert cable (TRS on one end, two TS on the other), but I'm not sure - you might get a ground loop. Looks like I need to get another Strymon pedal in here and try it out...

Any more information about this? Have we discovered if using an insert cable for controlling two Strymon favorite patches from only one function output will create any ground loops?

I just tried it myself, and using an insert cable to split to two pedals' favorite switch inputs works fine. There's no change in noise when adding the insert cable. You just need to invert the function switches in the PBC settings in order to make it activate the favorite when the switch is turned on. (If you don't, favorite is active when the function switch is off)

Last edited:
I just tried it myself, and using an insert cable to split to two pedals' favorite switch inputs works fine. There's no change in noise when adding the insert cable. You just need to invert the function switches in the PBC settings in order to make activate the favorite when the switch is turned on. (If you don't, favorite is active when the function switch is off)

That's good news! I suppose this means that I will soon be able to do my Strymon favorite switching, and control my Deluxe Memory Man's tempo without needing to add a Mini Amp Gizmo after all. Looking forward to that 3.00 release!

Thanks for the help with my many questions. I just bought my PBC, and I haven't yet actually built my new board. I'm adjusting my build plans on the fly based on your information. So much to consider!

Back