Strymon Sunset and PBC6

I'm having trouble figuring out how to save a Sunset Preset to the RJM. So far, I have been able to save the first preset I find. But when I want to change the settings on the Strymon Sunset and lock it in, I follow the same steps on what I did the first time but the RJM and/or the Sunset don't acknowledge it. The way I know how to save a preset is by holding down the Channel A button on the Strymon Sunset, then once the Channel A light turns blue, I click the button on the PBC that I want to use to toggle that gain preset. But after doing that once, the Sunset doesn't seem to save it.

Ok Update: I've figured out how to get the MIDI set up. Im currently trying to save different gain levels of the "Texas" drive on the Strymon Sunset. I save two levels and when I get to the third variation it just overwrites the first. Is this a Strymon thing or is there something in my programming on the RJM that's not allowing me to save or access this third preset?

Is there also a way to set a button so when I hit it once, it toggles the loop, then if I hit it twice it toggles off the loop, and then if I hold it, it will access the IA?

Is there also a way to set a button so when I hit it once, it toggles the loop, then if I hit it twice it toggles off the loop, and then if I hold it, it will access the IA?
The key is sending it a new Preset number by Midi when you save it. Forgive me if this seems obvious, but I have made the same mistake. If you have a Preset under PC 3, and you adjust it to create a new Preset, you hold the left footswitch until it lights blue, then send it a new PC via Midi (like PC 4). If you just send it PC 3 it will overwrite the prior setting.

I am not sure how you are using this. You mention "Toggle" which implies 2 states. If you were using Presets on the Mastermind you could have 3 different Midi PCs, one in each of 3 Presets on the MM. If you are using one button on the Matermind to toggle the Sunset presets, that would only allow for 2 PCs that you toggle between. Using that same button to send a PC to save your 3rd Preset on the Sunset would just overwrite one of the first 2.

The key is sending it a new Preset number by Midi when you save it. Forgive me if this seems obvious, but I have made the same mistake. If you have a Preset under PC 3, and you adjust it to create a new Preset, you hold the left footswitch until it lights blue, then send it a new PC via Midi (like PC 4). If you just send it PC 3 it will overwrite the prior setting.

I am not sure how you are using this. You mention "Toggle" which implies 2 states. If you were using Presets on the Mastermind you could have 3 different Midi PCs, one in each of 3 Presets on the MM. If you are using one button on the Matermind to toggle the Sunset presets, that would only allow for 2 PCs that you toggle between. Using that same button to send a PC to save your 3rd Preset on the Sunset would just overwrite one of the first 2.
Thank you! Can you explain to me on what you mean by "Send it a new PC via MIDI (Like PC4)"? I just did a factory reset to erase all my presets on my Strymon Sunset as well as started over on my RJM set up. When I try and save a new preset on my strymon, it doesn't seem to save within the RJM. I think either 1) The Presets are not saving on the Strymon Sunset or 2) The RJM is somehow remembered the old preset and is recalling that, and I don't know how to overwrite that preset with a new one.

Also another issue I'm finding is: On my RJM I'll have one preset set to "PC 0" and then the 2nd preset to "PC 1" and on both of these presets, I try to save two different gain structures. By the time I save the 2nd one and toggle between them two, they both have the same gain structure even though they have two different PC's. Wow this is confusing!

And to clarify what I mean for a toggle: What I'd like to attempt to do is to be able to click a button on the RJM to activate the gain preset, and when I click it again it will turn off that gain preset. This way I don't have to save a preset that's just dedicated to a clean tone without distortion.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like the Sunset is set to a different MIDI channel than you think it is. Double check that video I sent. How you send the PC to the Sunset in the "learn" step is really important. If you just select a preset on the PBC, it's likely to set the pedal on the wrong channel. Using the Edit Presets menu as in the video is the safe route.

I think I figured it out, it was because I didn’t have the 2nd Preset option set to “reload” so it wasn’t receiving the correct PC Message. You explain that in your video in the chase bliss portion but I had previously just over looked that and went straight to the strymon portion of the video. Thanks!

Ron i have some questions on this topic. With the sunset via midi, let’s say I want to make like 10 presets. Is it going to save the presets on the editor? How can I make preset combinations with the other midi pedals I have on the editor?

The presets are saved on the Sunset, then you recall them from the Mastermind. If you create presets using the above method, you're effectively creating presets 1-10 on the Sunset that are recalled by Mastermind presets 1-10. After that, you can go into the Presets tab on the Mastermind Editor and choose which Sunset preset is loaded for each Mastermind preset, using the PC Messages section.

Back