Strymon Sunset not receiving midi changes

Fit2praise

This forum has been super helpful and I'm so appreciative of the knowledge found here. Here is my issue:
I updated the Sunset firmware. I'm running out of the expression with TRS to the expression of the Sunset on channel 3 (Timeline is 1, BigSky is 2, H9 is 4) I have set the Sunset up to only receive messages, and then I tried to get the suggested check in the Sunset manual to make channel A turn on. I've got nothing! I did a factory reset and started over. Still nothing. Help!!

You can't use the expression pedal, external switch or function switch jacks on the PBC to connect to the Sunset's MIDI input, only the actual MIDI output will work. You'll need either the MIDI adapter cable Strymon makes or an adapter box like the MIDIBox by Chase Bliss to connect standard MIDI to their 1/4-inch input.

Alright! New cable from Strymon is installed between the H9 midi out and into the expression on the Sunset. H9 is set to channel 4, and the Sunset is set to channel 3. H9 is set to through for midi messages. I am following the suggested check in the Sunset manual to send a CC# 10 and 127 to turn channel A on. This is, of course, after I have gone through all the stages to make sure that the Sunset programming is correct. Still nothing. Now what?

Yeah.....I'm stuck and this is frustrating! Strymon's cable is upside down, which means I can't connect my PBC to my computer at the same time because the angle is in the way and I can't get the USB into the PBC at the same time. It's one or the other. I'm wondering if the H9 is on the right setting. Either way, I can't get anything to work. I'm going to attempt to find more info. If I'm still stuck, I'll call you tomorrow. Thanks.

I'm sorry for not being very clear. The whole board works. Audio wise, everything works. The only thing not working is MIDI for the Sunset. I want to be able to change presets through a song and maybe not have as much drive for a verse as compared to a chorus, bridge, or solo......or maybe completely change from GE to Texas without having to do anything else than hit a patch change on the PCB 10. I just need the MIDI to work on the Sunset. It's probably something simple, but I've been through everything.

Make sure the H9 is on a different MIDI channel than the Sunset, and make sure the channel settings in the Devices tab match the settings in the actual devices.

I’ve been looking at using the sunset in the same way. Having more like 4-5 overdrive sounds available for a fraction of the real estate. How well do the MIDI changes work on the sunset from a speed perspective? Timeline and big sky are seamless, instant, continuous audio when changing programs.

I tried the H9 once, and there was an audible lag in program changes. Instant for on off, but if I wanted the verse and chorus to use different H9 programs it was unusable.

Now I’m super cautious. Curious how it’s working changes drives sounds completely with the sunset using MIDI?

I don't remember any lag in the Sunset. Since it pretty much does one thing (overdrive), it doesn't need to load a whole new effect algorithm every time you change presets like the H9 does.

Back