Switching amps AND channels with a midi controller ?

PatValfar

Hello!

My question is :
I am wondering for quite some time now if it is possible to use 2 amps, which have each more than one channel, and switch everything with only my midi controller.

My gear is :
- Amp 1 : Laney VH100
- Amp 2 : Mesa Dual Rectifier
- Amp Gizmo (with the wire adapted for the Laney VH100 only)
- Midi controller : Boss GT-8 (1 midi out, 2 outputs : left and right, 1 loop)
- Amp switcher : Standard Boss A/B switch (1 in, 2 out)

Right now, this is the best I can do with what I have :
1. I connect my guitar in a standard A/B switch.
2. Output 1 goes directly in the Input of the Mesa Dual Rectifier (without any effect at all!).
3. Output 2 goes into the input of my Boss GT-8 and I use the 4 cable method to loop everything in my Laney and I use the AMP GIZMO to switch the channels according to my presets on my GT-8.

My problem is : I don't have any effects when I use the Mesa because I had to choose to use my GT-8 for one or the other amp.

My objective is : Being able to use only my GT-8 (midi controller) to switch between both amps, selecting the channels I want on each amp, with the effects of the GT-8 (so I have to be able to use the Loop thing with both amps if I want the effects to sound right, because some effects are best before the loop, and some are best after the loop).

For example : my presets on my Boss GT-8 (midi controller) would give :
Preset 1 : AMP 1 CHANNEL 1 (with specific effects from the GT-8)
Preset 2 : AMP 1 CHANNEL 2 (with specific effects from the GT-8)
Preset 3 : AMP 2 CHANNEL 1 (with specific effects from the GT-8)
(...)

I know this might be impossible, but before buying a second Boss GT-8 (or other midi controller) and a second Amp Gizmo for the Mesa Dual Rectifier, I would really like to know if it is all possible to be done with only one midi controller (Boss GT-8) and what gear from RJM I would need to achieve this.

I've had the Amp Gizmo for over 4 years now and it is still as good as new and I love it. I know RJM is capable of doing this but I can't figure it out by my own.

Thank you very much for your time and I'll be waiting for an answer, have a nice day,

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

You can do that with an RG-16 or the upcoming Rack Gizmo. I've attached a diagram showing how it's done. As is mentioned in the diagram, you may have to deal with some grounding or level issues, but they're all problems that can be solved with a little persistence.

Attachments

• RG-16_Share4Wire-2Amp.pdf
    383 KB · Views: 317
Thanks for the quick response.

I am very interested, but I'm still not sure about one thing, but this would be more my problem then yours...

My problem is that I would like both amps to use the effects from my Boss GT-8 (that is also the midi controller), but the GT-8 has only 1 Loop send and 1 Loop return.

Am I right to say that it is, in that case, impossible to do with my GT-8 and the Rack Gizmo ?

Okay, I think I just figured the diagram out.

1. So if I understand well, it IS possible to have 2 amps pass through the same loop in my Boss GT-8 ?

2. When will the Rack Gizmo be available for purchase ?

3. Are you able to give an approx. price ?

This incredible invention would make my dreams come true (some of them anyway).

Thanks in advance

It is possible to have more than one amp use the loop on your GT8, I have a GT pro (which has two loops) but I run 3 seperate preamps through one of the loops all the time (mono) and 3 amps through both loops in stereo

I'm not sure shat you're asking exactly. Are the amps in the GT8's loop, or is the GT8 in the loop of multiple amps?

Sorry, I just meant that my GT-8 only has 1 Send and 1 Return so I thought it was impossible to use 2 amps (each of them using their loop). Seems like it is possible so never mind my question.

Thank you!

It is possible but it depends on what you want do do and how you connect your gear together
for example: A guitar amp is 2 amps or more really, a pre-amplifier and ad a power amplifier, the pre-amp part goes in the loop of the gt8
Guitar > GT8, GT Loop send > Amp Gizmo or RG16, Amp Gizmo/RG16> Prea-amp1 and Pre-amp 2

return from preamps> Mixer (you may be can use a y cable instead if the pre-amps stage have a master volume before the fx loop)>gt8 loop return

GT 8 Out either direct to single power amp or via loops on amp gizmo or effect gizmo to multiple power amps ( you will probably encounter some grounding issues so you may need to use ground lift cables or a transformer isolator).

What you are actually doing is putting the pre-amp part of the guitar amp into the loop of the gt8 not the other way round. You are using the amps fx loop to enable you to separate the amps pre-amp and power amp stages

this is one way to connect but not the only way really depends on what you are trying to achieve

Okay thank you but I must admit it is hard for me to understand all of that. It seems more complicated than I thought.

You see, here is my actual set-up without the RG :

1. Guitar into standard A/B Boss switch
2. Output 1 from the A/B pedal --> Amp 1 INPUT (ends there for the Amp 1)
3. Output 2 from the A/B pedal --> GT-8 INPUT
4. GT-8 SEND --> Amp 2 INPUT
5. Amp 2 SEND --> GT-8 RETURN
6. GT-8 OUTPUT --> Amp 2 RETURN

Plus, switching preset on the GT-8 switches the channels on my Amp 2 (Laney) thanks to the AMP GIZMO that is plugged into the GT-8 Midi out.

This allows me to use my amps sound (clean, crunch, drive) with the GT-8 effects (delay, flanger, etc.). In other words, I use the GT-8 only for the effects and switching my amp channels, and not for the amp simulators.

Now, I thought I could do exactly the same thing with the RG-16, but this is where I would need your help (by telling me if I am wrong :) ) :
- I was thinking I would do the same wiring setup as mentionned above, but by replacing the "Amp 2" by "RG-16".
- Plus, I would do the exact same thing with my Amp 1.
- So basically, Amp 1 would be "looped" with RG-16, Amp 2 would be looped also with RG-16, and GT-8 would be looped with RG-16.
(I guess the term loop is maybe not appropriate but I just mean that the GT-8 would NOT be connectec directly to either one of the amps.)

I really would appreciate your help with this because I can't say I understand very well why my actual setup works, I just know thats how it works ha ha.

Thank you!

Re: Switching amps AND channels with a midi controller ?Rg16

ys that can be done

guitar to GT8

GT8> rg16

RG16 Loop 1 send > amp 1 In
RG16 Loop 2 send > amp 2 in

Amp1 Fx send > rg16 loop 1 return
Amp2 Fx send > rg16 loop 2 return

RG16 out > GT8 fx return

this will allow you to use either amp 1 or amp 2 preamp

and if you want to be able to redirect the gt8 output ot one or the other amps power amp section then

GT8 left out to RG 16 loop 5 in
rg16 loop 5 send > amp 1 return

GT8 right out to RG 16 loop 6 in
rg16 loop 6 send > amp 2 return

you will also neet to put a patch cable between rg16 loop 5 out and rg16 loop 6 in

this will allow you to send the output to either amp 1 or amp 2 or both

Wow the RG16 is an amazing solution! Its exactly what I need.

Last questions :

1. With that setup is there any ground problem or something? I don't know anything about electricity.

2. This "patch cable"... is it a standard 1/4" jack? Or is it some kind of special cable that comes with the RG ? (sorry if this is a stupid question).

Thank you very much 4x4uk I appreciate you taking the time!

the ground loop issue may or may not occur, but when connecting 2 amps it may do. THere is a good guideline thread from Ron on here somewhere re using making groundlift cables. But basically a ground lift cable is a std 1/4 inch jack cable witht he outer shield removed from one end. It is likely you may need one but you never know until you connect everything up.

The patch cable is a std 1/4 inch jack cable its just short in length

just remembered there is a ground lift switch on the rg16 so you may not need a groundlift cable

Back