Switching PBC presets via MIDI?

PianoMan

I'm working with a client to design a multi-pedalboard system for his solo performance rig. The overall rig will have three standalone signal chains - vocals, trumpet, and keyboards. The pedalboards (part of the trumpet chain) will be controlled by a PBC 6/X. Ideally he would like to set up scenes for his keyboard rig in Ableton that can send MIDI to the PBC and change trumpet presets on the fly (as his sets are highly improvisational).

So is this possible, and if so, what sort of signals would I send to achieve this? (I would imagine that if it's possible, then I would send MIDI PC#'s to the PBC and they would correspond to presets in the selected setlist?)

Yes, that's very easy to do. Set the MIDI Receive Channel to something other than None. Then, incoming program changes and bank changes on that channel will change presets on the PBC, just as if you selected them from the unit itself. If you're using songs & setlists, there are a couple of options on how that works, and it's described in the External MIDI Control section of the manual.

Since you're using a PBC/6X, you'll need a splitter cable to break out the MIDI connection into an input and output.

Back