Synchronize button status in the controller

I have a Mesa Boogie TC-50 along with a Strymon midi effects. In order to change channels on my amp I send CC Toggles to 20,21,22 for Clean/Lo Gain/Hi Gain. I have been working on this for a second now, but I was able use an IA button with IA Cycle steps to create a Button A: Clean/Lo Gain switch and Button B: Clean/Hi Gain switch.

What I want to do is Link the buttons so if I hit Button A to Lo Gain, it sets Button B to Clean state in the controller, without sending a CC to the amp, and vice versa, that way, if I hit Button B again (because it is set on Clean) it will go to Hi Gain. I tried setting up the IA Link and Groups, but from what I can tell, it still sends the command to the amp.

Groups are designed for that purpose. Try a group again, but make sure that Send Off Msgs is turned off for the group (in group settings, Globals tab of the editor). This will make sure that only the button that you press within a group will send its messages, and the button(s) that automatically turn off as a result of that press will not send.

Back