Tap Tempo Setup Question

Jason Asimakis

I am very new to this and may be in over my head here but I would like to change the global preset button to a tap tempo button and send an analog tap out a function switch to a Dunlop Echoplex and a midi tap to a boss DD-500 at the same time. I am sure this is possible but I have no idea how to do it. I am betting it is not that hard I just can't figure this one out. I assume I would just connect a function switch output to the tap on the Echoplex and hook up the midi cable to the DD-500. But how to configure the PBC is a little beyond me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One other thing, I do not want it to be a master clock, I only want it to send taps when I click the button.

Thanks
Jason A

Edit the button (in the editor). Set button type to IA. Turn off all checkboxes except Flash w/ Tempo, which should be on.

Now, at the bottom, click Add Action. Set Type to Audio, Subtype to Fn Switch. Set the switch number to whatever function switch you're using. Make sure that Off Value is Off and On Value is On.
Next, click Add CC Action, then select DD-500 on the left and Tap/Ctl on the right. Click Done, then click Done again.
In MIDI settings, make sure that MIDI Clock is set to Off.

This should get you started. If the tempos are not coming out right, try turning on the Momentary checkbox for the tap button.

I have it set the way you said but the tempo is not changing, maybe I am missing something on the DD-500 itself but from the settings I have it should receive the CC messages. It does not flash with the tempo as well. I can make it change patches per preset so I know it is receiving messages. Not sure what to do now, I have played with every setting I can think of, has anyone set a tap tempo button to control the tempo of a Boss DD-500 and gotten it to work, if so what setting do you have to make it work.

I did get the function switch to work for the Dunlop Echoplex at least, I could always just use another function switch for the DD-500 but I want that to change amp channels on my Mesa Boogie Mark V:25. I will add some screen shots of my settings here if that helps.

RJM 1.JPG
RJM 2.JPG
RJM 3.JPG
RJM 4.JPG

Check the DD-500's settings, you might be able to configure which CC number controls which function. If so, make sure that tap is set to CC84.

Is the button flashing at all?

I got it to work by setting it as a tap tempo on the device itself and using the internal clock as master, still trying to figure out the other way. I just added the function switch to the button to so it taps to the boss and the echoplex when I tap it. I do have the dd-500 set on CC 84. It works though so I am happy for now and can keep trying to get it to work the other way.

One other question, will the MXR tap tempo switch work as an external switch for momentary actions, like changing pages?

Back