The mini line mixer requires line level input, so ...

isvoid

... how could I use it with pedal based effects?

I read in the manual "In order to use it with a high impedance signal like an un-amplified guitar signal, the signal needs to go through a buffer before reaching the Mini Line Mixer".

What happens after the mini line mixer if I want to go to the input side of an amp (say I'm eschewing an effects loop in favor of front loading all effects, e.g. a hiwatt)?

:NOOB: question but I gotta ask -- Would I have to "unbuffer" the signal before the amp's input?

I'd be grateful if someone could show the complete signal chain: guitar --> pedal effects --> buffer --> mini line mixer --[ anti buffer ] --> amp.

Thanks!

:)

/izzy

While I have seen an anti-buffer, I can't remember who makes it. Odds are, unless all your pedals are true-bypass (which would result in drastic tone differences between pedals being on and off - you always want at least one buffer in your signal path), something will be acting as a buffer anyway. While the Mini Line Mixer is designed to work with line-level signals, it's quiet enough that it works fine with instrument-level signals (such as those coming out of an effects pedal) too.

Generally, you want the buffer / pedal-acting-as-a-buffer (such as a Boss pedal) after any old-school fuzz pedals, and possibly after a wah, but before anything else.

Out of curiosity, what would you be using the line mixer for in your case? You don't seem to have anything running in parallel...

Thanks for replying Martin.

Sorry for the crude image:

ei46sh.jpg

Over simplification but hopefully what I'm depicting is (1) overdrives are connected serially, (2) delay and reverb are connected in parallel, and (3) trails are not cut off when there's no input to the delay or reverb.

Make sense?

izzy

That should work fine. You don't need to "unbuffer" the signal before the front-end of the amp - it'll work fine with the buffered signal. We had a board that was similar to that on the RJM booth at NAMM.

Awesome / Cool, thanks Martin.

Is there any buffer in particular that RJM / others recommend?

Thanks.

/Izzy

There's one built into the Mini Effect Gizmo... :)

The Tone Freak Buff Puff is pretty awesome too, as is the Suhr Iso Boost. But not really needed in this scenario. Just plug into the Buffer In rather than the other input on the MEG.

There shouldn't need to be any "un-buffer" needed unless you have fuzz pedals or other sensitive pedals in the mix.

FYI, I believe that the "drag" control found on Radial products is effectively an "un-buffer". You can also easily change the output impedance of a buffer to make it buffer more poorly. But, you're almost certainly better off just using the line mixer output as-is. It sounds good that way, IMHO.

MartinCliffe said:
There's one built into the Mini Effect Gizmo... :)

The Tone Freak Buff Puff is pretty awesome too, as is the Suhr Iso Boost. But not really needed in this scenario. Just plug into the Buffer In rather than the other input on the MEG.

Cool, thanks Martin. :)

rjmmusic said:
There shouldn't need to be any "un-buffer" needed unless you have fuzz pedals or other sensitive pedals in the mix.

FYI, I believe that the "drag" control found on Radial products is effectively an "un-buffer". You can also easily change the output impedance of a buffer to make it buffer more poorly. But, you're almost certainly better off just using the line mixer output as-is. It sounds good that way, IMHO.

Thanks RJM, non fuzz pedals [AC Booster, BB, OCD, Suhr Riot etc.] + interesting, "I did not know that" + awesome. :)

Back