The RG-16 is dead, long live the Rack Gizmo

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
For a number of reasons, we're retiring the RG-16. It was the product that really put us on the map, and the first one that we started distributing to dealers. It's also the one that attracted the attention of the LA rig builders, which was a very important milestone for us. I think I need to have one bronzed and put on my shelf. :)

That said, the RG-16 has parts in it that are becoming obsolete, and has some design issues that make it a little tricky to build. It's really not practical to build anymore.

We toyed with the idea of keeping only the Effect Gizmo, but I'm not really happy with that solution - the combination of loop switching and function is still something people need, and nothing does it better than the RG-16. So, I've been at the drawing board, and I can now announce the Rack Gizmo. The first obvious change is the name - we're going to make our naming scheme more consistent (The RG in RG-16 always meant Rack Gizmo, anyway).

The remaining changes pull in the improvements I developed for the Effect Gizmo and Mini Effect Gizmo:
- 8 loops as before, but last 4 loops stereo. Available with all stereo loops
- +/- 15V buffer circuit from the Mini Effect Gizmo
- Improved Click Stopper, also from the Mini Effect Gizmo
- Effect Gizmo style enclosure (thicker metal, bigger screws, EG style buttons) and layout (front panel input on left, power jack on right)
- Front panel 6-pin XLR MIDI jack

I was hoping to have the Rack Gizmo available by the time that the RG-16s ran out, but that didn't happen. It'll be a couple months before we have Rack Gizmos, unfortunately. In the meantime, we have a few B-stock and refurbished RG-16s that we'll sell at a discount. Please contact me if you're interested!

wow, that sounds cool!
guess you know it ron, i own one of the early models of the RG-16 and guess you can remember my mails, that it would be fantastic to have the separate loops in stereo....now you make it happen and add the clickstopper! great!
maybe i should upgrade to the new Rack Gizmo in the near future. :)

soo erm is the price going to be significantly different?

or at or around the same as before

i's poor, sorry

but desperately looking forward to the thing, because i must control the world with it

regards

Damn you and your efficiency. ;)

I have been lurking on this site for some time trying to decide on the best switcher (or combo of switchers in your competitors cases) and design my rig accordingly.

I had decided on an RG-16 and been saving for a while (plus cable for my TSL and Master Mind). Now I am going to have to go back to the drawing board and figure out my whole rig again and then save up some more.... :geek:

Discounts on recon RG-16's you say.... Where might I find out more?

Will you still support the RG-16 after the Rack Gismo is released?

You can email use about the reconditioned RG-16s - we have a few.

We will always support the RG-16 even if we're not making it anymore!

Will the Rack Gizmo can do the same thing as the RG-16 ??? I talk about controling amps(2 like the rg-16 ??)(channel, boost, amp loop...). Can you post pictures of th new RG ??? Thanks !!!!

I don't have pictures yet, but it will do everything the original does, plus the new features listed above. The rear panel will be the same as the original, except that it's reversed left to right, there are Click Stopper in and out jacks, there is an external ground lift switch, and there are no longer separate MIDI Out and MIDI Thru jacks - they're combined into a single jack (the MIDI output is almost never used except in firmware upgrades or backing up settings).

I hope to have some more details on the web site soon!

We're going to start building some pre-production samples this week. As long as no further issues are discovered, we should have them by the end of July.

I should have info on the website in a couple of weeks.

FYI, the manual is now up on the Rack Gizmo page on our web site.

Obviously we missed July, but we're finalizing things with our manufacturer now and hope to have the first units late August/early September. We're going to start taking pre-orders soon!

Wow what can I say you have taken what in my humble opinion was the best poduct on the market anyway (which is why i bought one) and made it even better.

The front panel looks much neater and the additional of the stereo loops is a bonus. Love those blue LEDs

Nice one Ron

Regards
Ian

Back