Timeout receiving data

I've started having problems connecting my PBC 6X to my Mac. It can connect to the device, but it gives a "Timeout receiving data" message when reading from the device. I've tried to connect from two different Mac laptops (one with USB-C the other with USB-A) and tried two different USB cables. The cables work with my Focusrite interface, so I don't think it's an issue with the cables. Is there a way to troubleshoot or fix the issue?

The PBC 6X is running the 4.6.0 firmware and I've tried both 4.6.0 and 4.6.1 desktop applications.

Usually, this problem is due to a firmware / editor version mismatch. It's worth trying to upgrade the firmware to 4.6.1. It shouldn't matter (only the first 2 numbers of the version should need to match), but there might be something unexpected going on.

I've tried upgrading the firmware on the PBC 6X to version 4.6.1 and doing a factory reset, and then starting to set up the device again from scratch. Yesterday evening that was working. I've tried connecting to the PBC 6X today and I'm getting a timeout when reading from the device - that is on 2 different laptops with the 4.6.1 desktop. I have the settings files that I've used here.

At this point, I'm not sure. I've never heard of this happening, except for version mismatches. If you're sure about the versions, and tried multiple cables and multiple computers, then we might have to look at the PBC here to see what's going on.

I can actually confirm that mine is doing the exact same thing. And that is using the cable it shipped with. I went ahead and installed the latest firmware, and the problem still persists. It's a bit of an issue, since it means any changes I make locally on the MM LT cannot be uploaded to the editor. I can save changes made in the editor over to the MM LT, but not the other way around. Which of course makes things a little tricky.

Same exact problem the OP is having.

Just to be certain - both the editor and firmware are at version 4.6.1?

Yep, I just double checked again, too. I actually just got the MM LT yesterday morning. Brand new. I downloaded the latest version of the editor, from the website, and immediately ran into that problem. So, I grabbed the most up to date version of the firmware from the website as well, installed it, and the problem was still there. They are both 4.6.1. I'm honestly not sure what's up. Is there anything else I should be trying? Anything I'm not thinking of?

Could this be a bug? I can work around it, but the problem here of course is that if I make any changes directly on the MM LT, if I go to do any more advanced editing using the Editor at a later date, I'm going to be forced to remember and recreate all of those changes in the editor, or else they will all get overwritten

I could be a bug certainly, but it's seems more of an incompatibility, because only two people are seeing this. Since you have an LT, you have the option of transferring settings via flash drive, which is less convenient, but better than recreating changes manually in the editor.

It would be great if someone could provide a MIDI monitor log of a failed transfer. This has to be done on a Mac. The process would be:

1). Download MIDI Monitor (www.snoize.com)
2). Make sure MIDI Sources and Spy on Output to Destinations are both checked
3). Set Remember Events to 10000
4). Select Read Settings From Device

Then save the file and send to me. This will (hopefully) show what's going on.

I could be a bug certainly, but it's seems more of an incompatibility, because only two people are seeing this. Since you have an LT, you have the option of transferring settings via flash drive, which is less convenient, but better than recreating changes manually in the editor.

It would be great if someone could provide a MIDI monitor log of a failed transfer. This has to be done on a Mac. The process would be:

1). Download MIDI Monitor (www.snoize.com)
2). Make sure MIDI Sources and Spy on Output to Destinations are both checked
3). Set Remember Events to 10000
4). Select Read Settings From Device

Then save the file and send to me. This will (hopefully) show what's going on.

I just went ahead and downloaded and installed MIDI Monitor, from Snoize. I'm going to get this info for you tonight :)

I've just updated to version 4.6.3 of the firmware and I still have the same timeout issue. I can see that the process is getting partway before the timeout happens - so it has read some information e.g. items on the Global and Devices pages. It hasn't read in the Buttons, Presets, Songs etc.

I've attached the MIDI monitor file: opening the editor and reading. Hope this helps to debug the issue - it's much easier to use the PBC when you can read and write from it.

The current settings on the device are in this GitHub repo.

Attachments

• pbc6X.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 3
I loaded up your settings and wrote them repeatedly to a PBC here. I didn't encounter any hangs. The PBC is just failing to respond at one point, and now we need to figure out why. Are you using a direct connection to the PBC, or are there any hubs in between? I recommend trying different cables, maybe a different USB port on your computer and see if any of that helps.

The connection is using a usb cable with an adapter to usb-c, direct into a Mac laptop. I have tried with multiple cables, but will retry with different ports as well.

The timeout is odd as there was no delay between the last command on the MIDI monitor and the timeout message. I would have expected a delay while the connection waits for a response. Is it possible that the whole retrieval is taking too long? Is there a way to increase the timeout?

From the log, it looks like the editor tried to contact the PBC 4 times, each about a second apart, and then gave up. The timeout's not adjustable, but it should never take that long.

Maybe it's worth trying to downgrade to your previous firmware version to see if it truly is a firmware issue and not something else.

I downgraded to firmware version 4.5.0 and the corresponding desktop application, and that works. I can read and write to the PBC 6X without issues.

I tried upgrading to firmware 4.6.3 and the upgrade worked and converted the settings. However, I wasn't able to use the 4.6.1 desktop application to read from the device - I received the timeout on read.

I downgraded again and it wiped the settings on the device. I've set it back up again manually (there may have been a faster way to do that!), and the desktop 4.5.0 application was able to read and write to the device without issues.

Out of curiosity, I tried reading from the device using the 4.6.3 desktop application and that did not work. I didn't see the modal box that shows the device is being read.

So, for now I'm sticking with version 4.5.0, but am hoping that this doesn't mean that I cannot upgrade at any point.

Back