Trigger macros via MIDI

johrek

It would be really nice if macros could be triggered via an incoming MIDI CC on the PBC/6x.
Specifically I would like to trigger "Next Preset" from my DAW. So a MIDI command for that would be needed. But thinking about it, macros would also allow that and much more. Basically everything could then be accomplished over incoming MIDI.

If you have a button page you aren't using, you can set up an IA button with CC Link to respond to a CC. Not as convenient as what you're proposing, but it works today.

To do it:
- Create a device in Devices that represents Ableton. Set the MIDI port to USB, and set a channel that you're not using for any other device. It also can't be the same channel you set for MIDI Receive Channel. This is the channel that Ableton needs to send on as well.
- In Globals, make sure that Max Page is set to be greater than or equal to the highest page number you're using
- Create an IA button, turn on CC Link, and turn off all other checkboxes
- Add a CC Toggle action, something like this CC Toggle #10 off:0 on:127
- Then, add a System / Preset preset:Next action to the button

When Ableton sends CC#10 with value 127 to the PBC it will run the System / Preset action.

If you have a button page you aren't using, you can set up an IA button with CC Link to respond to a CC. Not as convenient as what you're proposing, but it works today.

To do it:
- Create a device in Devices that represents Ableton. Set the MIDI port to USB, and set a channel that you're not using for any other device. It also can't be the same channel you set for MIDI Receive Channel. This is the channel that Ableton needs to send on as well.
- In Globals, make sure that Max Page is set to be greater than or equal to the highest page number you're using
- Create an IA button, turn on CC Link, and turn off all other checkboxes
- Add a CC Toggle action, something like this CC Toggle #10 off:0 on:127
- Then, add a System / Preset preset:Next action to the button

When Ableton sends CC#10 with value 127 to the PBC it will run the System / Preset action.
I just utilised this sending scene midi commands from the Axe FX III, awesome stuff thanks Ron!

Back