True Bypass vs Buffer

JeffMarshMusic

Hello again Ron,

For this particular pedalboard with my new PBC, I want to keep everything analog with the last digital reverb set to kill dry/parallel. I discovered this cool analog EQ with presets that's midi controllable.
http://www.freethetone.com/en/products/effects/pa1q.html

I've run out of loops in the PBC and want to wait before adding a Mini Effects Gizmo, so I'm thinking I can place this pedal before the loop 5/6 insert. But I'd need to enable/disable it via midi.

So... I'm trippin' on the fact that the device is not True Bypass, but has a buffer on all the time even when the effect is bypassed. I won't be using the effect all the time, so it bugs me that it would be in the signal path all the time. I would prefer it if it were True Bypass or in a loop, but I lack the education to justify the head trip (LOL). I really want this setup to sound analog, but I might be overthinking it and perceiving it as the A/D conversions I'm trying to avoid.

You sir, will know the reality I'm unable to see, so I'd love to know your take on it.

Thanks,
Jeff

P.S.
https://neunaber.net/blogs/neunaber-audio-blog/13827985-when-is-true-bypass-appropriate

You can definitely run it in the insert between loops 4 & 5 and control bypass via midi. I did the same thing with a CBA Warped Vinyl for a long time.

Can I ask why you're concerned about the pedal not being true bypass? Do you have a fuzz or something in the loops after that? You could very likely already have a buffered bypass pedal before that insert point, and the PBC has a buffer at the input (unless you defeat it).

Buffered bypass can solve a few problems too, like popping when engaging/disengaging the pedal, or signal loss from a long cable run. VERY RARELY, does a buffered bypass create an issue. 99.9% of the time you'll either notice (worse case) no effect, or (best case) restored high-end in the signal.

And don't buy into the "this buffer sounds better than that buffer"... for the purposes of guitar, and the frequency response it reproduces, a buffer is a buffer.

Can I ask why you're concerned about the pedal not being true bypass?

Boyce, thank you so much for asking that question. The answer is "I don't know." It's a paradigm issue. I'm thinking that "True Bypass" means the pedal is not there. And "Buffered Circuitry" is doing something. From what you tell me, it sounds like a buffered signal will still give me a pure analog path with added stability. Thanks for your help! I think I'll order this pedal now. :)

jm

Back