Tuner/Tap tempo button

Chuck Hanning

I am recent owner of a PBC and am starting to get it set up.
I plan on setting up my Strymon timeline the way Ron explains it in his YouTube video.

I was want to set up the tuner button to be a tuner if held down and otherwise be tap tempo button for momentary taps so that I can set up a global midi clock to send to all my effects. How do I do that?

Im not 100% sure that a tap tempo button will work well with a hold function underneath it. Give it a try, though.

Edit the button in the editor. Set button mode to Hold. Turn on "Flash w/ tempo", turn off Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change. Select "System / Tuner" in the bottom left, then click Remove Action.

Now, click the Hold Functions tab. Set Type to IA, then click Add Action. Set the action type to System, subtype to Tuner.

Click Done. That should do it!

Im not 100% sure that a tap tempo button will work well with a hold function underneath it. Give it a try, though.

Edit the button in the editor. Set button mode to Hold. Turn on "Flash w/ tempo", turn off Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change. Select "System / Tuner" in the bottom left, then click Remove Action.

Now, click the Hold Functions tab. Set Type to IA, then click Add Action. Set the action type to System, subtype to Tuner.

Click Done. That should do it!

I guess I was thinking that if I make it hold (or momentary for 3 sec or more) then it would be tuner. If less than 3 sec then it would be tap tempo and would send mdi clock out.

In my dreams it would be hard to imagine some sort of death metal that would be at 20 bpm but I suppose I could be wrong......;-)

Chuck

When a button has a hold function, it doesn't register until the button is released (so it can figure out whether you're pressing or holding). This is why the tap tempo might not work as well as it could. There's probably some additional stuff we could do to make tap buttons still function on the initial button press, but it's not implemented at this time.

So I'm edit the function of the button as you suggest for when it is in hold, and we'll see how it works. My version of the pbc editor software isn't quite as you describe but I think I'm able to find everything. (You talk about system tuner in bottom left and it is on bottom right under system actions.

When I'm in the editor and button is in "Normal" mode is there something I need to do to assign it to tap tempo? I don't see that as one of the choices. Now the button is in IA mode (as the button type) and there are no actions assigned to it. Doesn't the tap tempo need to be assigned to it ? I have flash with tempo assigned and send on preset change and update on preset change turned off (unchecked). Is there something I'm missing?

Sorry, I misspoke - System / Tuner (and the rest of the action editing) is in the bottom right.

If you're using MIDI Clock (MIDI Clock = Master), then turning on "Flash w/ Tempo" is all you need to do. If you're using a CC to send tap tempo, then you would also add a CC Toggle / Tap Tempo action to the button.

Back