Unable to use Nixie with Mastermind

tandrewnichols

This has been a happening for a while and there have been other threads about it, but I figured I would update with my current status and what I've discovered, because it's definitely getting worse.

It used to be that Nixie could connect to my Timeline and load presets from the device, and I could make changes in Nixie that would be reflected in the device, but I couldn't save. So I'd just save on the pedal itself, and that worked fine. I remember other people saying they could save, but only one preset at a time.

Now, Nixie detects a connected device (it doesn't tell me "no devices found") but it can't even load the presets from the device. Basically I can't interact with the device at all in any way. I do suspect this is Mastermind->Nixie specific for the following reasons:

1. MIDI Forward is ON on my mastermind and MIDITH is set to merge on my timeline, but as mentioned before, Nixie can't load anything.
2. Nixie works perfectly if I connect it directly with separate MIDI cables (seems to rule out things like OS and the device itself).
3. Other MIDI devices have no issues with their respective apps. I can use SymmLab for my Synesthesia and EnzoEdit for my Enzo with no trouble (that seems like it would rule out things like MIDI not properly being passed along and cable specific issues).

Well, I'm gonna have eat my words. After posting that, I was like "I better double check that it isn't the cable or I'm gonna look dumb." so I plugged the mastermind directly into my computer. Previously I had it in a USB hub (so I only have to plug in ONE thing for all my devices with USB connections), which was working for updating the mastermind and it was working for other devices, so I assumed it was fine, but Nixie does indeed work correctly (even saving) if I plug it in directly. I also realized the synesthesia has a separate USB cable, so it isn't using the mastermind for midi communication.

That is somewhat inconvenient I guess cause I need to plug in multiple devices again, but it's better to have Nixie working, and I don't need it all the time, so I can probably just swap that cable from the hub whenever I need to update the timeline.

So just to clarify, if you plug USB directly from the Mastermind to the computer, then Nixie works well with the Timeline?

I always assumed that the interference was coming from the midi chain. But if it’s about the USB hub and/or cable, then maybe there are some other troubleshooting things I can try.

Yeah, I have a USB-C to USB-B cable connecting my laptop to the mastermind, and then a normal MIDI chain from the mastermind through other devices, which includes the Timeline. When I use that setup, it works. When I plug the mastermind into a USB hub and then the hub into my laptop, other Mastermind stuff (writing) still works, but Nixie does not. Maybe that cable from the hub to the computer (or the hub itself) doesn't do MIDI, idk.

That's odd... I'll try to look into that, I don't know why our apps would work fine and Nixie wouldn't, they all use the same protocol, driver, etc.

WTH . . . after reading that, I was like "yeah, that does seem really weird." So I tried it again using the hub and suddenly it's working again. Like everything, even saving. That makes sense but also kinda doesn't cause what was happening before???

Back