URGENT need for help about my PBC

13041202_10153575690063527_2192572955329093740_o.jpg
Hi, this is my new pedalboard I had set up this week in Montreal (Canada) by Greenwood (where I'm from, every guitarist knows about him and his pedal boards, top quality). Because of unfortunate delays, I had only two days to create all my presets from scratch. Tonight (Thursday), I had my first gig with the board. It went fine but, the PBC gave me horrible chills all night long. Let me explain :

I noticed a few problems before I left home for the gig but, all things I could live with until I'd bring it back to Greenwood. I guess I'll ask about these concerns in another post because the main problem happened when I showed up at the venue. Big show with lots of stuff happening and timecode with screens and shi...

During the soundcheck, I noticed the PBC would sometimes turn to the "Switches" page without any reason. When I'd get out of the page, it would be on the wrong preset, like 2 songs later in the setlist. That was quite worrisome already. And it did it a lot, like 10 times throughout the soundcheck only. The other guitar player in the band has two PBCs himself and never faced such problem.

When the gig started, I was looking at my board from side stage, everything looked alright. The cue is given, we get on stage, I grab my guitar, %#&?&$, the PBC suddenly changes song (new problem)!!!

So, this is how my gig went, I spent the evening looking at the PBC, wondering when it would change patch or switch to the "switches" page without any reason. Oftentimes, it would change song right before the click was given in our in-ears and I would have only like one second to get it back in place. Oddly enough, it never happened during a song.

I am connected in no ways to any midi signal other than the PBC communicating with the Strymons.

I wondered about every possible explanation. Like : why did it switch pacth right before the beginning of a song (and not every time)? Is it just a coincidence? Am I getting some timecode signal from the lighting? Am I receiving the other guitarists signals ('cause he also has a PBC)? I mean, what is wrong???

So, please, tell me you have an idea. Or, where to start at least. There is no room for technical problems on this gig and I really need your help. I'm playing the next two days too.

BTW, I'm sure there is a solution to it and, otherwise, the PBC is just amazing!

Last edited:
My first question would be, how are you powering everything? Lots of high current stuff on your board. If things aren't being adequately powered, then almost anything could be happening.

To be sure, you have the PBC into one of the 12V 400 Ma slots on the 4x4? The site mentions it needs 500 Ma at 9V or 400 Ma at 12V.

So, just to make sure I understand - it's switching by itself, with no buttons being pressed at all?

So, just to make sure I understand - it's switching by itself, with no buttons being pressed at all?

Yes, it did 2 things.

At first, the "Switches" page turned on with no reason.

Also, during the gig, the "bank up" function started switching pages.

I am not supposed to receive any midi from another device but, the keyboard player suggested that there could be something sent from my Strymons..? Not supposed but maybe...?

Nothing in the usb port during the gig. I had my Mac book connected during the soundcheck for touch ups in my presets though.

I believe the midi cable is plugged in the midi out only, as seen on the picture (I know it's hard to see).

It could be static electricity, although for it to happen that much is pretty surprising. Maybe try connecting a ground wire from the PBC's case to the power supply ground (or power supply case)?

Does it always change to the same preset when this happens? Or perhaps the same preset button (for example, the 4 button turns on every time, which selects the 4th preset in the current bank)?

Back