USB MIDI Merge and USB power.

If I'm understanding correctly, the GT can accept MIDI through the USB B port. Does this mean the GT could host a USB MIDI keyboard controller and merge in it's output with the output of the GT? If so, does the USB B port supply enough power for bus-powered USB keyboards (~300mA)? Even when the GT is phantom powered?

The setup I'm trying to achieve is a USB keyboard plugged into and merging with the GT, allowing me to run only one MIDI cable back to my computer, and one cable from the computer back to the remote-in on the GT for song changes. Basically, I'm trying to avoid having to get a separate merger and having to supply dedicated power for the USB keyboard, if I can just run the thing off one USB cable instead. Just trying to see if this is possible before ordering a GT. Thanks!

If this worked, it would be on the USB A port. The A port is the one found on computers and is the one that allows you to connect a MIDI device. We don't currently support the addition of MIDI devices using the A port. But, it would be a useful feature, for sure. The B port is strictly for connecting the GT to a computer. Using this port, the GT itself acts as a MIDI device.

Ah, I see. Well, it certainly would be a handy feature for us keyboardists, but I suppose it would be difficult to just add in the ability host a USB MIDI device. Products like this: http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml exist, but that wont really simplify what I've got, as the goal isn't just to convert USB to MIDI, but rather to simplify and reduce the cable runs from the computer rack to the keyboard/pedalboard upstage. It would be easier to just use a MIDI Solutions merger and stick with the 5-pin-din out and power supply I've already got with the keyboard. But having just one phantom-powered line and one remote line for the entire upstage rig (using the GT as the hub) would be a dream. Oh well, I'll be getting a GT anyway! Thanks for hearing out these use-cases and considering (often implementing) them!

Back