Using Midi in as Midi out with TRS

trulsux

Is it possible to use the Midi in as Midi out when connecting to a pedal with TRS midi…..remember reading that a different wiring was needed and will that work with a TRS ….?

cheers/
Truls

Most pedals that use TRS MIDI are uni-directional, and that's how the MIDI standard specifies it. However, I know that Empress pedals have a bidirectional TRS connection. I'm not sure about other brands.

I just need midi to the pedal, it’s a Swindler effects Red Mountain and uses the same TRS midi in as the Jackson audio pedals …..will it work with that type of cable ?

…..or does it have to be a bidirectional pedal if I want to use the PBCs Midi in as midi out?

…..or does it have to be a bidirectional pedal if I want to use the PBCs Midi in as midi out?
No, the pedal doesn't need to be anything special, you just need the right cable, one that uses pins 1 and 3 instead of pins 4 and 5 on the PBC side.

Great, so I think thats the same as the one I made for my jackson audio bloom thats on the end of my midichain?

Your other cable would have used pins 2, 4 and 5, but this cable needs to use 2, 1 and 3 (respectively).

…..got it to work fine! The pedal I’m controlling is dumb in the way that you have to send the pc - number to save a preset which is imposssible if I want to use PC-up /down….is there a way to send the current pc nr without stepping up and down ( then I can have that function on the hold of the Pc-up and PC-down buttons…

On your hold function, set it to be an IA button, turn off all checkboxes, except Momentary, which should be on. Then, add a PC action that sends to your device, with the off value = None and on value = Same

Back