Using Midi to Control Looper function of Hologram Microcosm

neilvg

So I have been testing out midi control of the microcosm, which I have at hand height to tweak with its knobs in real time -- but of course I'd want floor control of the looper functionality.

I've noticed that programming CC messages with the Microcosm - specifically the loop record start, is slightly delayed. If I play a guitar note and hit a programmed button for record (using the CC), the loop cuts of the beginning of my loop. So I am a bit at a loss for what to do. Is this a Microcosm issue? Midi cable run length issue? It's going about 12-feet....

ALSO - I noticed a slight bug with the MIDI preset for the Microcosm in the software/firmware. CC #28 is actually Loop Record but it is Double Entered as both Reverb time, and Loop Record. Reverb Time should actually be CC 20. CC20 is blank/unnamed currently. Of course we can add it ourselves.

Ok, I'll fix the CC number. The other issue is likely in the Microcosm itself. The PBC sends MIDI messages as quickly as MIDI allows, and cable length is not going to be an issue (electrons effectively travel at the speed of light through a conductor).

I sorted out the issue and this may help anyone new to hold functions. I had the button setup as an IA Hold (with play stop as the hold function) - but this changes the point at which the midi signal is sent during a button push - IA Hold sends Midi for non hold events when the button starts to go back up or when its all the way back up.

The normal functionality should (and does) more or less feel like the nadir of the button push - which definitely makes timing easier and also how switches on loopers tend to work.

So I ended up using additional buttons for the functions assigned to the IA Hold. Problem Solved.

A button that has a hold function needs to determine whether you're pressing or holding the button so it can decide which function to run. So, it has to wait until you release the button or the hold time elapses, whichever comes first. At that point, it knows which function you're accessing

Back