Using the GT with both AxeFX 2 and 3

greiswig

Like a few others here, I have a new AxeFX3, and I’m now trying to set up my GT16 to work with it, hoping that bidirectional MIDI will be coming from Fractal soon. I still have my AxeFX2 as well, which is my regular gigging rig for the time being.

Meanwhile, I have probably some dumb questions. The preset list on the GT was built out for the AxeFX2, with titles for the presets which were built around specific amp types. So for example Preset 0 might be called "Plexi" on my AxeFX2. I have a couple of buttons for "Bank Up" and "Bank Down" that scroll three other buttons to show the presets in order. (Ron set those up for me, and I'm still not sure how that all works, but it's great!)

But on the AxeFX3, I'm trying to use the channel switching and scenes to create some presets that are centered around my specific guitars. This device has completely different presets, so Preset 0 might be "Strat" on the AxeFX3. So I'd like to use a similar Bank Up and Bank Down function to go between Scenes within that preset.

So here's the start of my dumb question list:
  1. How do you manage different preset lists between devices?
  2. How do I get the Bank Up to work with Scenes, rather than presets?
Thank you!

This video is for the Mastermind LT, but the setup is the same for the GT. The later examples show how to set up GT/LT presets to access Axe-Fx scenes.

You might want to consider having two different GT configuration files, one for Axe-Fx II, one for Axe-Fx III, since the two will probably be quite a bit different.

Thank you, Ron. There's I gather there's no way to keep separate preset lists per device.

On another topic: I cannot get the Tuner to trigger from the GT16. Using the command

CC Toggle #15 off:0 on:127

The MIDI light on the AFX3 lights up after a long pause, but no tuner is invoked.

Do you have a computer you can use to verify that the CC is being sent from the GT? That's the next step I would take. If it is being sent, then it's an Axe-Fx issue.

Tuner works ok here. On the gt16 I get a ? And on the 3 it shows the tuner.
Strange. Here's a screen shot of what I have for my button settings. Note that I have the AFX3 listed as "AxeFX II XL" here, but it's the right device and MIDI channel. Other things attached to that device work:
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 3.26.50 PM.png

OK, that's the second time today I've been able to solve the problem by copying a known working button over to that slot, then overwriting the old commands with new ones. Strange.

Tuner working.

Are you using "Send Changes to Device" a lot? (Instead of "Send Settings to Device") - In the process of developing 4.0, I found some pretty serious and fundamental errors in Send Changes that were never fixed in 3.4.x. It could be what you're seeing.

Are you using "Send Changes to Device" a lot? (Instead of "Send Settings to Device") - In the process of developing 4.0, I found some pretty serious and fundamental errors in Send Changes that were never fixed in 3.4.x. It could be what you're seeing.
Yes, I was! Thank you.

Back