Using the midi in port as an output

J Logan

So the manual indicates the midi in can be repurposed as an midi out. I would like to utilize this as it will keep me from having to reroute all my current midi cables. I selected midi out on the device setup tab for the midi port but that doesn't seem to work. Is there any additional options or cabling changes I need to make in order to do this? I made my cable so am capable of switching the pins around if that is needed.

Even though MIDI uses 5 pin DIN, usually only pins 2 (ground), 4 and 5 are used.
To use the MIDI IN as an OUT you need a cable that connects pin 1 at the PBC end to pin 4 at the other end, and pin 3 at the PBC end to pin 5 at the other end.

ok, so pin 2 (ground) stays the same and ill just flip the other 4 cables as you recommended. Then all I need to do is select midi out as the port for the device correct?

You only need three connections.
Pin 2 -> Pin 2
Pin 1 -> Pin 4
Pin 3 -> Pin 5

The end with 2, 1 and 3 plugs into the PBC. The other end plugs into your external device.

ok, so pin 2 (ground) stays the same and ill just flip the other 4 cables as you recommended. Then all I need to do is select midi out as the port for the device correct?

Select MIDI In for the port when using this method. All the other information is correct.

Important to note for this setup that you also have to turn on bi-directional MIDI in the editor.

Back