Volume drop with boost pedal

Hi there,

I've got an Arrows Earthquaker Devices boost that I'm using in loop 2 on the PBC10. It was working fine, but now when the pedal and loop are activated the volume drops and I lose all the bottom end. I've tested the boost pedal outside of the loop, straight into the amp and it works as intended, tried different patch cables too. Any help would be appreciated!

Sounds like an impedance issue. Either it's interacting badly with the next pedal in the signal chain, or you have a bad cable.

So could this be a bad cable anywhere on the board, even if the loop isn't activated? I've been testing it with only the loop that the boost is in activated (loop 2, after my compressor in loop 1).

As an update - I've tested going straight into one amp both directly from out 5/6 and through my patch bay and the boost works fine. Seems to be something about my stereo set up that is causing the issue.

If you're using stereo, you need to follow our recommendations for cabling and switch settings which are listed in the manual. You probably have a TS cable where a ring disconnect cable goes, or something like that.

Ah! In loop eight I have a mono pedal with the TS and ring disconnect cables. I have recently taken it all to bits and put it back together again so I'll double check they're the right way round.

Hi! Thanks for all your help - I've tracked down the issue! When I run the out 5/6 into my ebtech hum eliminator before going into the amp, I get the problem. Remove the hum eliminator from that cable line to either amp, problem is gone.

I could do with the hum eliminator or something similar on that line to reduce noise - would something like the Palmer Y box do the trick?

That makes sense, the Hum Eliminator has an input impedance of around 10k, which is way too small for some pedals' outputs. You would need a buffer in front of the isolation transformer, or a box that combines both. I've never used it, but from a quick look, the Palmer box should do the job.

Right, that explains everything! I was thinking about swapping my Y cable that splits to both amps with the Palmer box and keeping the hum eliminators for the effects loops, but do you have a suggestion of a isolation transformer perhaps?

Back