Weird Bidirectional Issue with GT10

Michael Scarabino

Hey!

I'm having an issue where my DAW is commanding Axe Fx scene changes, and it's successful. However, the GT10 is not receiving the data to make the scene button highlight the currently selected scene. I've already accomplished this exact issue, for some reason she won't work.

I have Ableton sending commands to my Axe Fx to change scenes, so it's a CC command. I have bidirectional MIDI checked off, as you can see in the image below which shows my current settings. I also have a MIDI cable connected from Axe Fx out, to GT remote in.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 4.21.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 4.21.09 PM.png
    443.4 KB · Views: 3
Make sure Poll State is turned on in the Devices tab. If that doesn't do it, it's probably something in your button configuration, send me your settings file and I'll have a look.

It was already on. Here is the settings file. Just and FYI, I have something funky going on in this setup. I run this GT with an Axe Fx II at band rehearsals. However, its setup with my Axe Fx III so that it still gets scene names. Thought I'd let you know before you get weirded out lol.

Attachments

• MMGT 10 - QU!ET Practice.rjs
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
Just curious, but what FW are you running on your AF3? I've had some weirdness, too, but not what you're describing.

Best,
Lee

You can't have two Axe-Fx devices defined in the same file, only one of the two will work. Even worse if they're on the same MIDI channel - that can cause other issues.

I recommend having two separate files, one for each device. Maybe keep the Axe-Fx III one as the "master copy", and occasionally make a copy of it, changing the model to Axe-Fx II XL to make the other file. If that's not an option, then you need to set the manufacturer to None on the device that you're not using at the time (in the Devices tab). That will keep the two from interfering with each other.

You can't have two Axe-Fx devices defined in the same file, only one of the two will work. Even worse if they're on the same MIDI channel - that can cause other issues.

I recommend having two separate files, one for each device. Maybe keep the Axe-Fx III one as the "master copy", and occasionally make a copy of it, changing the model to Axe-Fx II XL to make the other file. If that's not an option, then you need to set the manufacturer to None on the device that you're not using at the time (in the Devices tab). That will keep the two from interfering with each other.
Would something like this cause permanent issues in the electronic of the GT unit? Has something like this ever happened before?

Back