Wet/Dry/Wet Routing configuration for PBC 6x

I am rewiring my PBC 6x to accommodate a wet/dry/wet configuration. I wanted to check if I am planning this correctly or if there are going to be issues from this type of setup. I have attached a screenshot of my routing.

The other potential issue would be with the H9 (which I primarily use for chorus). Would there be issues running this pedal stereo then that signal feeding into the dry amp as well as both wet amps?

More info:
The amp modeler is an Walrus ACS1. I am feeding the mono signal from the second insert send to the ASC1 and have the stereo split occur for the stereo wet effects that follow.

Loving the PBC 6x, thanks again for your time!

Attachments

• Pedal Routing.png
    Pedal Routing.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 5
I’m not as familiar with the PBC 6X routing, so I will leave the validation of your overall signal path to Ron or another knowledgeable user. But I did have a similar problem with chorus and the PBC10 in a W/D/W setup. You can’t have stereo pedal go to a mono output (well, you can but it defeats the purpose since you lose the second output). So then you have two options:

1. Put the chorus after the W/D split as part of the stereo signal path.
Pros: You get the stereo effect in your wet amps. This kind of depends on what stereo effect means for chorus. I think the H9 has true stereo field spread of the effect, but some chorus pedals just have dry and wet as the two outputs.
Cons: You end up with the dry signal going to your dry amp. Since chorus is essentially a vibrato wet effect blended with the dry signal, having it only in your wet signal (already blended 50/50) and then blended with your dry signal ends up diluting the signal even more.

2. Put the chorus before the W/D split.
Pros: You solve the blend problem mentioned above, getting a solid chorus effect. It’s in your “dry” amp now, but I’m not putting this under “cons” because any time you’re using chorus you shouldn’t blend it with dry signal anyway if you want it to be clearly heard. In other words, if you want chorus on, having it in your dry signal makes sense anyway.
Cons: You don’t get the stereo spread of the chorus effect.

I’ve tried both, and I’ve found option 1 frustrating to the point that getting a stereo spread in my chorus effect isn’t worth the trade off of diluting the signal. One solution to that is actually using vibrato instead of chorus, and letting the dry output balance the vibrato into chorus. It does work, but in my opinion it sounds a bit different and hits the other stereo effects differently. Plus I want the option of playing W/D/W, but I don’t always have that opportunity (how many venues do you play where you can have 3 inputs on the board and trust the sound engineer to make it sound as good as it does at home?). Since I also want it to sound good in “plain old stereo,” I have to compromise and put the chorus somewhere that works for either situation. I’ve had chorus just before my dry split for a while now and it serves me well. I can hear it clearly in any configuration (mono, stereo, W/D, or W/D/W), and I don’t need to worry about switching the order of the effects. (I know you have that option with the 6X and I don’t with the 10, but you are still limited by stereo effects needing to be ordered after the stereo split in your signal chain, so you’re basically stuck with the problem of a fixed order anyway in this particular case.)

My two cents. Hope it helps, but if you think of any other solution I’m definitely interested to hear it.

Thanks a ton for your experience. If I think of something I'll let you know. Based on your analysis, I'm leaning on just using the H9 in mono at this point. I really only use it as a chorus, wah and for the octave effects since I use a Collider and Capistan to cover all delay and reverb needs. It may be simpler and less trouble to use the H9 in the dry signal so I am able to position it appropriately with the other effects in mind.

This setup would be used both live and in studio. We have our own front of house guy most of the time for live performances, so he is aware when he is involved, however sometimes we use the venues FOH engineer and I find they usually just sum everything unless I chat with them. Our bands sound engineer loves having control over the level of reverb and delay separate from the dry signal, however a lot of FOH engineers see 3 lines coming from guitar and are not super pumped about it until I talk to them. :D

So with all that in mind, the routing would change slightly.. really just using H9 in mono opens up another mono loop to throw the octavia into its own loop. slightly modified routing attached.

I feel a bit more confident at this point.. I think this will work unless I am not understanding how the insert loop works. But my understanding is that it can be used as a split output where I can separate out the wet effects to the stereo amp modeler and leave them off of the dry amp.

Thanks again for the perspective and expertise on this.

Attachments

• PBC6x routing.png
    PBC6x routing.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 1
Back