When controlling Mini Effect Gizmo X with an I pad

Yos Tanaka

When setting Mini Effect Gizmo from an iPad with an editor, are there any iPad models that are not compatible with Mini Effect Gizmo X?

When setting Mini Effect Gizmo from an iPad with an editor, are there any iPad models that are not compatible with Mini Effect Gizmo X?
None are specifically incompatible, as long as they can run iOS 12 or later. You do need the right cable to connect it. If the iPad has a Lightning connector, you need a "Lightning Camera Connector" to convert it to a USB A connection, and then a USB A to USB C cable to connect to that.

One thing to note when using with Apple products - it tends to work better if you don't have the power connected to the Mini Effect Gizmo, and let it power itself from the Mini Effect Gizmo's USB port.

None are specifically incompatible, as long as they can run iOS 12 or later. You do need the right cable to connect it. If the iPad has a Lightning connector, you need a "Lightning Camera Connector" to convert it to a USB A connection, and then a USB A to USB C cable to connect to that.

One thing to note when using with Apple products - it tends to work better if you don't have the power connected to the Mini Effect Gizmo, and let it power itself from the Mini Effect Gizmo's USB port.

If my iPad is an ipad pro or Air, is there any problem if I use a TypeC to TypeC cable that supports data communication?

If my iPad is an ipad pro or Air, is there any problem if I use a TypeC to TypeC cable that supports data communication?
That should work fine (I do it here all the time). As I mentioned above, make sure the Mini Effect Gizmo is not powered up when connecting to the iPad.

That should work fine (I do it here all the time). As I mentioned above, make sure the Mini Effect Gizmo is not powered up when connecting to the iPad.
I would like to purchase a USB cable that supports data communication, but is there a specification for the USB standard (eg 3.0, 3.1, etc.)?

I was able to connect my iPad to the Mini Effect Gizmo X using a USB cable (TypeC-TypeC) via the Lightning camera adapter.
Thanks so much for all your help!

I have a couple of questions.

(Question 1)
Why didn't I connect to the editor with the cable that came with my iPad?
It was possible to connect the iPad to the computer and send image data, etc.

(Question 2)
When power was supplied from the USB port of the Mini Effect Gizmo X, the Mini Effect Gizmo X did not respond to MIDI signals sent from a MIDI pedal. Is this normal?

(Question 3)
After the transmission of preset data from the editor is completed, the LED light on the Mini Effect Gizmo X that was originally lit turns off.
At this time, the MIDI pedal and Mini Effect Gizmo X are not connected.

Does this mean that I need to send a program change number from the MIDI pedal in order to recall a preset sent from the editor to the Mini Effect GizmoX?

Thank you very much for your always kind support!

I was able to connect my iPad to the Mini Effect Gizmo X using a USB cable (TypeC-TypeC) via the Lightning camera adapter.
Thanks so much for all your help!

I have a couple of questions.

(Question 1)
Why didn't I connect to the editor with the cable that came with my iPad?
It was possible to connect the iPad to the computer and send image data, etc.
USB products have two categories, host and device. and a USB connection is always made from a host to a device. A computer is always a host, and most other products that have USB ports are devices. However, an iPad can be a host or a device, depending on the cable used. When you use the included cable to connect your iPad to a computer, your iPad acts as a device. The purpose of the camera adapter is to make the iPad act as a host, so it can connect to a device (like the Mini Effect Gizmo X)

(Question 2)
When power was supplied from the USB port of the Mini Effect Gizmo X, the Mini Effect Gizmo X did not respond to MIDI signals sent from a MIDI pedal. Is this normal?
The power supplied by a USB cable isn't enough to run all of the the audio circuitry in the Mini Effect Gizmo X. If you connect the USB cable, then connect the power cable to the Mini Effect Gizmo X, it'll work correctly.

(Question 3)
After the transmission of preset data from the editor is completed, the LED light on the Mini Effect Gizmo X that was originally lit turns off.
At this time, the MIDI pedal and Mini Effect Gizmo X are not connected.

Does this mean that I need to send a program change number from the MIDI pedal in order to recall a preset sent from the editor to the Mini Effect GizmoX?
Sending presets from the editor doesn't automatically load that preset on the Mini Effect Gizmo X, you're correct that a program change is needed to load any preset.

Thank you very much for your always kind support!
You're welcome!

When using a TypeC-TypeC cable, does the iPad (e.g. iPad Ari4, new iPad) side become the host?
I have tried several typeC-typeC cables (compatible with data transmission and reception), but some cables were not usable.

Last edited:
When using a TypeC-TypeC cable, does the iPad (e.g. iPad Ari4, new iPad) side become the host?
I have tried several typeC-typeC cables (compatible with data transmission and reception), but some cables were not usable.

Thank you for your kindness!!!
With USB-C equipped iPads, it's a little more complicated, the two devices work together to decide which one is the host. When connecting to something that's always a device, like the Mini Effect Gizmo X, the iPad will be a host. With these iPads, I recommend connecting the USB cable first, then connecting power if you need the audio circuitry to function as well.

I've seen a lot of trouble with USB C cables, I've encountered some that don't work, and I have not yet been able to find the reason.

On a Lightning type iPad, if I use the camera adapter, do I need to use a charge & sync type cable?

And I connected my iPad Air4 to Mini Effect GizmoX with the cable that included iPad Air4,But it didn't connect.
Is this due to the iPad not being the host?

Last edited:
Back