Which Furman in your Effect Gizmo Rack?

Looking into Furmans for my effect gizmo rack (to power effect gizmo, Strymon Zuma/Ojai pedal power supplies and a single AC wall wart for a Mutron 3x).

Any benefits from a higher end model? Looking at the PL Pro DMC, or the 1800 P FR (so I could also plug my amp into the rack). Concern however is proximity noise from the Furman as I've heard some units cause more noise due to large transformers.

Or would a simple hammond style power bar with surge/mov be best?

Assuming all the power supplies are self-regulating so a voltage regulator isn't neccesary. Just want the lowest possible noise in my amp/pedal rig.

P 1800 PF R. Running the following:

• Palmer PGA-04
  • ISP Technologies Decimator G Rack
  • RJM Rack Gizmo-functions
    • Mesa Boogie Mark V
    • F1: Green/channel 1
    • F2: Yellow/channel 2
    • F3: Red/channel 3
    • F4: Mesa EQ
    • F5: FX Loop
    • F6: Solo
    • F7: Tuner Mute
    • F8: Reverb
    • Power for MMGT 22
  • Pedal shelf: Pre-Mark V
    • Loop 1: Grand Orbiter
    • Loop 2: Warden
    • Loop 3: Klon
    • Loop 4: Fuzz Master General
    • Loop 5: Cloven Hoof
    • Loop 6: Palisades
    • Loop 7: Talons
    • Loop 8: EQ
    • Voodoo Labs PP 2+
  • RJM Effects Gizmo
  • Pedal shelf: MV Effects Loop
    • Loop 1: Organizer
    • Loop 2: Depths
    • Loop 3: Sea Machine
    • Loop 4: Afterneath
    • Loop 5: Strymon Timeline
    • Loop 6: Dispatch Master
    • Voodoo Labs PP 2+
  • Furman P1800

P 1800 PF R.

Thanks! If you don't mind a couple more questions: any proximity noise? Could I have the P FR in the space right above the effect gizmo?

Why'd you choose the P FR? I've heard it's specialized for high current devices like amps. Are you connecting your amps to it as well?

Can you talk more about the benefits you hear with the P FR that make it so you would not trade it for anything?

Thanks!

I wanted a digitally controlled analog tube set up. One of the classic things you read about is the difficulty in isolating power buzz in rack systems and it just gets worse the more you throw in.

All of the equipment, with the exception of the Mk. V is in a 10 space rack in the order above. The 1800 is the bottom with one space above, which will likely become a patch bay in the future.

All things powered get power from the 1800 and when I am in the rehearsal space it runs a lamp and fan too.

While the rig is not absolutely silent, the sounds I do get are the result of high gain and artifacts related to specific pedals like phaser or vibe. These are handled by the decimator without issue.

Why won't I trade? Aside from protecting my investment and giving plenty of power to the Mk. V, it gives me good readings on what I am dealing with regarding voltage at a gig. Also, last weekend I had a gig rain out while I was on stage. The sound guy was pretty focused on unplugging all of us while we were playing, which is a surge/spike situation. I watched the unit kick in and provide my equipment a soft landing. That is when I knew I could trust it and combined with the other benefits, I would not trade.

Appreciate the response. I guess I'm not sure why you chose the P FR since the purpose of that particular Furman is to have a high current reserve so amps run optimally (get enough current) no matter what else is drawing power. Not sure how the P FR benefits RJM products and pedals more so than a standard Furman with SMP/Automatic shut down in case of a surge.

This is why I'm trying to determine what the optimal Furman product is for an RJM rack rig. It seems the P FR is the way to go if amps are going to be plugged in. If it's just the Effect Gizmo/Rack Gizmo and pedals, it seems any basic power strip with surge would suffice since all the Pedal Powers/RJM units have self regulating power supplies (no need for an AR voltage regulator or an FR as they aren't high current like an amp). So I'm thinking a Furman doesn't really provide more than a standard surge other than a voltmeter and lights (both of which apparently can cause proximity noise due to the transformers used to power the lights).

So I'm questioning getting a Furman at all vs just a simple Hammond Style power strip.

Though would still like to hear others experience

I use a Furman AR1215 in my rack, which also contains my AxeFX, G90 wireless system, Sennheiser EW300 in-ears, and my Carvin power amp. The AR1215 doesn't have lights - which is a weird omission - but it does stabilize the power to my rack toys. The added benefit is that I can provide clean, conditioned power to my bass player and keyboard player.

Back