Why does it work?

cgscotto

Recently, I asked about replacing my MEGs in my setup with a single Effects Gizmo because I needed more loops in the effects loop and fewer into the front of the amp. I sent a diagram that you kindly optimized. I used the updated diagram, which had the following special routing:

Overall Routing
1) Buffer in-guitar
2) Output 1-4: amp input
3) CS in: FX loop send
4) CS out: to loops 5-8 input
5) Loops 5-8 output: Loop 9 input
6) Loop 12 output: FX loop return

Here are the pedals I hooked up and their location
Loops 1-4 (amp input)
1) HFX (Line 6) (4-cable method)
2) Mobius (4-cable method)
3) H9 (4-cable method)
4) ISP Decimator

Loops 5-12 (FX Loop)
5) ISP Decimator
6) HFX
7)
8)
9) Mobius
10) H9
11) Strymon Timeline
12) Ventris Reverb

When I hooked everything up using the overall routing, I was getting really bad pops when switch loops in the presets. (I am using a Mastermind LT to control the Effects Gizmo.)

I disconnected everything and started from scratch. I hooked the EG up in the standard way with no pedals. I tried switching things with no pedals. I was getting a slight pop in the loop 9-12 section. I tested each loop and found the pop happened between the output of 11 and input of 12. I inserted a buffer between the output of 11 and the input of 12, which eliminated the pop. (I should say, I tested all cables with a multimeter for both continuity and Ohm rating.)

I then put the routing back to the configuration in the Overall Routing. A new pop appeared. I traced it to the output of loops 5-8 into the input of loop 9. I put a buffer between this connection, which eliminated the pop.

I then added pedal one at a time. Everything was fine until I added the HFX, which is the last pedal added. The pop returned, and I traced it to the return to loop 6 from the HFX. Once again, I added a buffer between this connection, which once again eliminated the pop.

Everything is working beautifully with not pops. So, my question is why did buffers eliminate the pops? I thought buffers fixed impeadance issues and pops were caused by DC leakage. I am just curious why the buffers worked in this situation to eliminate the pops. Also, I posting this, if it is a viable solution, to help anybody else that might have a similar problem. To save them some time, since this whole process took about 10 hours to get straight. You make great products since my rig is now doing exactly what I want it to do.

Thanks and all the best.

You're exactly right about pops being caused by DC leakage. Buffers, at least well designed ones, will also strip DC from the signal in addition to doing their main job. Really, no audio equipment should leak DC, but either bad design or defective/old output capacitors can cause it to happen.

Thank you! At least I now know that I am not imagining that buffers fixed the problem since I know why. By the way, the buffers are well designed since I was using RJM Tonesavers. Why is the Tonesaver not listed in the RJM online store anymore?

Thank you! At least I now know that I am not imagining that buffers fixed the problem since I know why. By the way, the buffers are well designed since I was using RJM Tonesavers. Why is the Tonesaver not listed in the RJM online store anymore?

Unfortunately, we're no longer making them, not enough sales to justify continuing with it. I think it's pretty hard to convince someone they need it if they aren't already well versed in the ins and outs of rig building.

Back