Winter NAMM 2011 Prototype

OK, when I turn "Send Tuner" to On, I get a stream of SysEx information. In Midi-OX this is showing up as:
SYSX: F0 00 20 1F 00 66 70 F7
When I then play a note on my guitar (a G, 3rd fret on bottom E string, for reference) this changes to:
SYSX: F0 00 20 1F 00 66 70 08 16 F7
It appears to be the penultimate 2 bits of data that carry note information - open E returns 04 14 and F# 06 15, suggesting that maybe I played a G# after all!
Further digging shows that a C returns 00 xx, C# 01 xx etc. My perfectly in tune open G string returned 07 17, FWIW.

Hope that's of more use to you than it is to me :)

Fantastic! That looks pretty easy to deal with. If I can trouble you for one more test, I should be able to create a Mastermind update fairly soon.

All I need to know is the range of the last number. If 17 is perfectly in tune, I'd assume that 0 would indicate maximum "flatness" and 2E or 2F (the number is in hexadecimal) would be maximum "sharpness". Can you test to see what the limits are in both directions?

It appears to only range from 10 to 1E, both in "coarse" and "fine" mode, which would put 17 bang in the middle of the range. I've checked with a different string that 17 corresponds to "in tune". I've not compared it to the strobe mode on my Korg rack tuner, but clearly the tuner in the G Major II isn't accurate enough to worry about slight discrepancies, with only 15 steps per semitone. At least it's actually in tune though, unlike the one on the Digitech GSP1101 (which tunes the bottom 3 strings sharp by approx 8 cents) :)

Wow, that is a limited range, but the tuner display on the Mastermind is more limited, so for our purposes it's okay! I will try to get you a beta to test by next week!

Yes, it's definitely going to change. The general size, number of buttons, etc. will be the same, but some of the hardware will be different. I've posted some information on our blog, and will keep posting as more decisions have been made.

The MMGT will blow our mind for sure !!!!! Never thing like this have been done before !!! Can't wait for have one in my hand !!!

rjmmusic said:
Yes, it's definitely going to change. The general size, number of buttons, etc. will be the same, but some of the hardware will be different. I've posted some information on our blog, and will keep posting as more decisions have been made.

Hi,
Can you, please, post the link of your blog?

I feel that "simplicity" is the key factor for "usability" as many pro players really just want an intuitive unit to just plug in and play the show that evening and then take it step by step afterwards....

For me that would mean as many IA buttons as possible... I would preset everything with the patches I use the most in my performances and then I am out on stage playing... instant effects on and off is cool for top row of buttons but I would want 10 good patches instantly ready with one tap of the foot...

The SD cad slot is a must for people who want to back up their user presets "just in case" or when they are on the road and maybe can use any other RJM new Mastermind pro anywhere by just popping in their SD card into the slot and programming the presets in seconds....

How about a phantom powered XLR female receptacle on top so that those who want can add a goose head mixer light on top to light up their whole pedal board if they want... I play over 250 shows a year.... after a while you get "zombied out on stage from playing so much" for me the things that I need first is "keep it easy and simple to use", second "make it easy to SEE", and third make it sturdy (and dust + humidity resistant) and give it the ability to be able to reboot all its memory from a SD card. Dont make it to heavy... new lighter good materials out there now...

Back