Y-Not doesn't work properly without buffer on

MartinCliffe

I've had a problem with my Y-Not for quite a while, possibly as long as I've had it, but it's never been an issue before. However, since I've bought a couple of fuzz pedals, it's started to become an issue for me. Basically, my Y-Not works great with the buffer turned on, but turn it off and it barely passes any signal. The actual buffer switch is a bit iffy when you press it, but I get massive signal loss when I turn the buffer off, which of course I need to do when using my fuzz pedal after it.

This is not an urgent issue at all, as I'm currently rocking a single amp rig, but it's something I'd like to resolve at some point, as I'd like to add a 2nd amp at some point soon! I tried figuring out the circuit board to see if anything was just a bad solder joint or blown component that I could resolve / replace, but I've got no meter here and I'm getting horribly lost without one!

Any thoughts? Obviously I've had the unit 2½ years so isn't under warranty or anything. If necessary, I'll buy another one and use this for something else, but it'd be cool if I could get it sorted.

Hi Martin, I have to wonder if the buffer switch is the culprit. Are both the A and B outputs affected equally?

Seems so. Today it's mostly passing signal, but distorting for a bit then settling down. If I physically knock the unit, it crackles and distorts for a bit, then works again. For testing I've got it patched into my FX loop, rather than the front end, but that shouldn't affect anything. Typically, this morning it's working more reliably than it has all year! Yesterday it wouldn't work at all with the buffer off.

If it is just the switch, I could probably either get a new one and solder it in, or just short it in the "off" position.

If you'd like me to send a switch or two, let me know! You also can hardwire the switch into one position as you mention.

No rush, and I might be ordering a couple of things from you in the not too dim and distant future (another Mini Effect Gizmo and possibly a Mini Line Mixer), but a spare switch or two would be useful as and when, cheers. The switch appears to have 6 contacts, so I'm not sure which ones I'd need to short to bypass it... a new switch would probably be the safer option :)

Back