Boss MD-500 - Turn on/off via MIDI -Please Help!

Recognized if “MIDI CC IN” setting is ON. * Recognized if “Assign: SRC” setting is “CC#1- #31, CC#64 - #95.” do you see those listed in your pedal settings

That pg 4 then should be sending those midi cc...if the pedal is not responding to them is there a mode or setting in the pedal that can be adjusted...can the pedal mode be incorrect

I dont believe so. I've spent the past hour pouring through all the settings and re-reading the manual. Its set to normal mode, which treats A and B effect independently. It's set to receive CC messages, the Midi channel is fine and the PC's get through with no issue.

I dont believe so. I've spent the past hour pouring through all the settings and re-reading the manual. Its set to normal mode, which treats A and B effect independently. It's set to receive CC messages, the Midi channel is fine and the PC's get through with no issue.

copied from DD-500
In the DD-500 there is also a MIDI MENU for MIDI CC#.

(Press [EDIT] and [ARROW UP/DWN] button to MIDI and press [EDIT/ENTER] to view).

Once in the MIDI MENU. [ARROW UP/DWN] button to:

EFFECT SW: CC#27
EFFECT A: CC#28
EFFECT B: CC#29
These are the CC# assignments for EFFECT SWITCH, EFFECT A and B.

are these set or there? figure right now we r just trying to control the pedal from midi command on that page 4...nothing extravagant or special. if the pedal isn't responding, the pedal may not be set for those midi cc being sent or expecting something different if midi numbers can be programmed.

Last edited:
copied from DD-500
In the DD-500 there is also a MIDI MENU for MIDI CC#.

(Press [EDIT] and [ARROW UP/DWN] button to MIDI and press [EDIT/ENTER] to view).

Once in the MIDI MENU. [ARROW UP/DWN] button to:

EFFECT SW: CC#27
EFFECT A: CC#28
EFFECT B: CC#29
These are the CC# assignments for EFFECT SWITCH, EFFECT A and B.

are these set or there?

Yes. These are all there.

The one thing I am thrown by which I noticed a short while ago and you just noted was

"CC#1- #31, CC#64 - #95.”

I noticed these CC' s in the manual, but nowhere on my pedal.

I'm not the expert here by any stretch...but I just want to point out. I came across a forum on The Gear Page (I think it was) where they are discussing the Boss pedals and they DID note that the DD500 is different than the RV and MD as far as how bypassing works. I suppose one of them is older (maybe the DD) and the others had differences in them that they expected Boss to update via firmware at some point. Not sure if they ever did or if you've updated yours or not.

I say all that to say, based on that thread I read (can't believe everything you read on the internet) it wouldn't surprise me for them to act different than one another. I know that they logically shouldn't...but I think they do. THAT is why in my file I had the OFF button sending a 127 and then a 0 to CC27. The poster in the thread said it had to go up and then back down to bypass. Maybe he's crazy, but that's why I did that...just so you know.

I'm not the expert here by any stretch...but I just want to point out. I came across a forum on The Gear Page (I think it was) where they are discussing the Boss pedals and they DID note that the DD500 is different than the RV and MD as far as how bypassing works. I suppose one of them is older (maybe the DD) and the others had differences in them that they expected Boss to update via firmware at some point. Not sure if they ever did or if you've updated yours or not.

I say all that to say, based on that thread I read (can't believe everything you read on the internet) it wouldn't surprise me for them to act different than one another. I know that they logically shouldn't...but I think they do. THAT is why in my file I had the OFF button sending a 127 and then a 0 to CC27. The poster in the thread said it had to go up and then back down to bypass. Maybe he's crazy, but that's why I did that...just so you know.

I was just reading that same thread. I just dont understand the logic of it. Not questioning it, I literally just dont understand it. So, if I am understanding you correctly though, that's basically what your file did?

I hate to have you guys sweat over this anymore than you have already. I really appreciate the amount of time and effort. I'll keep messing around with it.

Rx CHANNEL is 4
CC IN is on

are those set?

also...how is midi cables set....for now come out of pbc directly in md500...don't daisy chain as the pedals need set for this. if they are not configured correctly, they may not pass cc messages...lets keep things simple check your pm

Last edited:
Rx CHANNEL is 4
CC IN is on

are those set?

also...how is midi cables set....for now come out of pbc directly in md500...don't daisy chain as the pedals need set for this. if they are not configured correctly, they may not pass cc messages...lets keep things simple check your pm

I am using a Midi Solutions Quadra Thru, so 1 in 4 out. The MD500 is obviously one of the 4 out. I will run a direct midi cable from the PBC to the MD500 when I get home later. I will also update the firmware on the MD500. I have version 1.01 and current available looks like 1.02. Not sure that theres any bug fix in that small update, but you never know. I'll reach out later. Thanks again.

Not sure if this helps (I don’t have an MD500 either!), but...

Are there any other parameters under the MIDI menu (like RATE CC or CTL1 CC) that also have values of 27, 28, or 29?

I’m just wondering whether your MD500 might somehow have gotten set so that actions other than turning the pedal (or individual patches) on and off are using the same CC numbers.

Hi Andrew,

The pedal does have those commands but they are set to different CC values. Can't remember what they are off the top of my head, but I didn't notice any conflicts. In preparation for round 3 and another late night of frustration, I've reached out to Boss customer support to see what they say or if there are any known issues with the MD500. Not sure when or if I'll get a response as I've never dealt with Boss support before.

Thanks for your suggestion.

-Mark

Wondering if a factory reset would help make any ground here, just to be sure. Not sure if that messes up stuff you have saved or not though, or maybe you can back up stuff first...? Just a thought.

I'll be updating the MD500 firmware when I get home shortly, which should reset everything. Not concerned about losing any patches as I only had a few setup. I have ver 1.01 and 1.02 is current. I did hear back from Boss support and they basically disregarded everything I spelled out for them and told me how to turn B off and A on. Thanks Boss!

Back