Transfers settings vs changes

The Stever

In the Editor under Transfers, what is the difference between Changes and Settings?
Also I can’t seem to set a PC on the Ventris to activate 1st preset, when I select presets on the PBC. It always activates preset #2 on the device. I was able to set the Nemesis that when I select presets on the PBC it only activates preset 1 on the Nemesis. Both are set to the same offset

Send Settings to Device sends all settings over. Send Changes sends only the changes that you've made in the editor since the last time you transferred settings. The latter can be faster.

Look for an IA button on your PBC that sends PC2 to the Ventris. You probably have such a button and it probably has Send on Preset Change turned on, which makes it send PC2 every time you change presets on the PBC. If I guessed this correctly, turn off Send on Preset Change on the button and the problem should go away.

Yes

A potentially quicker way is to select View / System Report in the menu. It'll display a list of every button and how it's programmed. You can also copy the text and paste it into a word processor and search for Ventris.

I’m in the editor. The report doesn’t list any devices which I suppose is due to the fact none of my devices are listed. They’ve all disappeared.

They’re all showing in the PBC. But not in the editor. When I scroll through the Ventris on the PBC I see cc in preset “off” and send PC “off”.

There are no presets showing in the editor. It looks like it did when I first opened it. Should I transfer Read Settings From Device? Why would all settings disappear in the editor?

The editor always starts with a blank configuration. If you select Read Settings from Device, ti will load up your current settings. Once you do that, I recommend saving your settings on the computer so that you have a backup.

That being the case I’m missing the point of your previous instructions to resolve my issue. I viewed the report but as you said it’s blank. So how would that allow me to see the device settings when the report shows no devices?

Do the Read Settings From Device so that the editor has your settings, then run the System Report. The "Device" that "Read Settings From Device" refers to is the Mastermind, not your other products that may or may not be in your Devices list.

I get that Read Settings From Device refers to the Mastermind PBC6X and not my pedals. I’ll dive in and look for that IA button you previously referred to.Though I am under the impression that the particular IA button setting could be found in the Mastermind PBC in the Setup Menu under Edit Devices. In the Edit Device menu I see CC on Preset and Send PC - both are set to off. Wouldn’t that prevent the Ventris from changing to P2?

Last night I noticed the Ventris was on Preset 2 in PBC Presets 1-4 and, and set to Preset 1 in PBC Presets 5-8. I went into Edit Presets (1,2,3,4) and scrolled down to Ventris and edit PC Message to PC 1. Then it changed the Ventris to it’s Preset 1. I thought that solved that issue. But when I powered up the PBC today, the Ventris Preset is set to P2 on PBC presets 1-4 again.

Also, What do the Init PCs to -none-, Init PCs to 0 and Init PCs Sequential do?

Another question. The Ventris is the last pedal in the effects chain. It’s not assigned to a loop. There is no MIDI Out cable. Does it matter that in the Editor the MIDI port is set to Midi Out?

I get that Read Settings From Device refers to the Mastermind PBC6X and not my pedals. I’ll dive in and look for that IA button you previously referred to.Though I am under the impression that the particular IA button setting could be found in the Mastermind PBC in the Setup Menu under Edit Devices. In the Edit Device menu I see CC on Preset and Send PC - both are set to off. Wouldn’t that prevent the Ventris from changing to P2?

The setting I was referring to is in the Buttons tab - I'm referring to the settings on every button. There may be a PC action on any of them that could be interfering.

Last night I noticed the Ventris was on Preset 2 in PBC Presets 1-4 and, and set to Preset 1 in PBC Presets 5-8. I went into Edit Presets (1,2,3,4) and scrolled down to Ventris and edit PC Message to PC 1. Then it changed the Ventris to it’s Preset 1. I thought that solved that issue. But when I powered up the PBC today, the Ventris Preset is set to P2 on PBC presets 1-4 again.

Also, What do the Init PCs to -none-, Init PCs to 0 and Init PCs Sequential do?

It changes the PC numbers in the Preset tab for a device - the same PC numbers you were talking about in the previous paragraph. Init PCs to 0 will set the Ventris to PC 0 for every PBC preset. Init Presets to Sequential sets the Ventris PC to 1 for preset #1, sets PC 2 for preset #2, etc. Selecting Init PCs -None- makes the PBC not send PC messages to the Ventris for any preset.

Another question. The Ventris is the last pedal in the effects chain. It’s not assigned to a loop. There is no MIDI Out cable. Does it matter that in the Editor the MIDI port is set to Midi Out?

MIDI Out is still the correct setting. The only time you'd ever change that is if you're trying to send MIDI messages to a computer using the USB port.

If you'd like to send me your settings file, I can go over it and see what's going on.

The setting I was referring to is in the Buttons tab - I'm referring to the settings on every button. There may be a PC action on any of them that could be interfering.

It changes the PC numbers in the Preset tab for a device - the same PC numbers you were talking about in the previous paragraph. Init PCs to 0 will set the Ventris to PC 0 for every PBC preset. Init Presets to Sequential sets the Ventris PC to 1 for preset #1, sets PC 2 for preset #2, etc. Selecting Init PCs -None- makes the PBC not send PC messages to the Ventris for any preset.

MIDI Out is still the correct setting. The only time you'd ever change that is if you're trying to send MIDI messages to a computer using the USB port.

If you'd like to send me your settings file, I can go over it and see what's going on.
Attached is my settings file. Another question. I don't see the new Source Audio EQ2 in the Editor. The original EQ is listed. When There a device that isn't listed , my understanding is to select PC/CC (something or other) and there the option to name it. But how does the Editor identify it when I transfer changes to the Editor? This is where Im REALLY in the dark.... I don't understand MIDI programming. This is the hurdle I must overcome so I can really take full advantage of the PBC and my pedals.

I'm going to start with these two MIDI questions -
1. Can MIDI programming be done via the Editor and / or the PBC to the same degree?
2. My devices' hardware has limited preset capability - for example 8 maximum presets. Yet the manual states it can have up to 128 presets. How is that achieved?

Attachments

• MASTERMIND SETTINGS NOV 18 4-45PM.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Attached is my settings file. Another question. I don't see the new Source Audio EQ2 in the Editor. The original EQ is listed. When There a device that isn't listed , my understanding is to select PC/CC (something or other) and there the option to name it. But how does the Editor identify it when I transfer changes to the Editor? This is where Im REALLY in the dark.... I don't understand MIDI programming. This is the hurdle I must overcome so I can really take full advantage of the PBC and my pedals.
MIDI works only by channel number. The MIDI controller sends messages on a specific channel number, and any device that's set to that channel can receive it. As an example, the channel number you set in the editor for the Ventris has to match the MIDI channel the Ventris is actually set to. Right now, you have the Ventris set to channel 1. If your Nemesis was also set to MIDI channel 1, it would also respond to the same commands that you're sending to the Ventris. The device types and names are just there for convenience, they don't have any affect on how MIDI communications happen.

I had a look at your settings and the problem you're seeing is probably channel related. In the editor, you have both the Ventris and the Programmable EQ set to channel 1. When you change presets, the PBC goes down the device list and sends PCs to each device. The Ventris will respond to the PC that's intended to go to the Ventris, but it will also respond to the PC that's intended to go to the EQ (because both PCs are transmitted on channel 1).

To make a long story short - make sure each MIDI device is set to a different channel, and make sure the channel number in the Devices tab of the editor matches the channel number on the actual device.

I'm going to start with these two MIDI questions -
1. Can MIDI programming be done via the Editor and / or the PBC to the same degree?
2. My devices' hardware has limited preset capability - for example 8 maximum presets. Yet the manual states it can have up to 128 presets. How is that achieved?

1. You can do basic editing on the PBC (preset names, PC messages, songs, setlists, expression pedal), but there are a lot of things in the editor that you can't do on the PBC itself, including deep button editing.

2. I'm not sure which device you're referring to, but a lot of MIDI capable pedals allow you to select a small number of presets from the device itself, but will allow you to select a lot more presets when connected to a MIDI controller. This is probably the case with your pedal.

I understand MIDI devices must have their own channel number. I changed the Source AudioEQ2 to channel 3 and I thought I transferred from Device to Editor after I changed the the device to channel 3. I will confirm the device is set to channel 3 and do another transfer. Then I expect to see that device assigned to channel 3 in the Devices tab in the Editor.

Regarding 2. in previous post. I know my devices are capable of many presets beyond what can be setup in the device hardware. Let’s say the max is 8 on the hardware. How do I create a 9th preset using MIDI?

I transferred Read Settings From Device after assigning the EQ pedal to midi channel 3 Using the Source Audio Neuro App. The editor is still showing it on channel 1, and, when I switch presets with the EQ2 looped in, there are no changes happening on the EQ2. as you said, program changes should affect the EQ2 with the device set to Channel 1

Back to the Ventris preset changes. Now things have gotten crazy weird. - It was showing device Preset2 on the device when switched to PBC presets 1-4; and it was switching to device Preset1 when switched to PBC presets 5-8. NOW, it’s still showing the device is on Preset2 on PBC presets 1-4; however now it switches to device Preset 1 on PBC presets 5 & 6, and back to device Preset 2 on PBC presets 7-8.

Regarding the Ventris: You still have the EQ set to MIDI channel 1 in the Devices tab. If you look at the PCs for the EQ, it's set to preset 0 for presets 1-4 and 7-8. It's set to preset 1 for presets 5 and 6. This is what the Ventris is responding to. The PCs are off by 1 because the PC numbers start at 0 (0 = first preset). If you change the EQ's channel in the editor, the Ventris will stop responding to it and will instead start responding to the PCs intended for the Ventris.

If the EQ isn't responding, something else is going on outside the PBC, because we've proven that the PBC is sending MIDI messages on channel 1. Either a cabling issue, a settings issue on the Neuro Hub, or the Neuro or EQ isn't working correctly.

Back