EXPRESSION PEDALS

If you're handy with a soldering iron, go inside the pedal and swap the wires on the input jack's tip and ring.

Otherwise, contact Best-tronics (www.btpa.com) or other cable builder, and ask them to make a TRS cable that swaps the tip and ring on one end. That'll fix it as well.
Is the fix as simple as resoldering the wires in a TRS cable for the purpose? I'd prefer to do this rather than use a soldering iron on my expression pedal. (I don't have an Aero yet but I'm thinking I might want one.)

Yes, you can wire a TRS cable so that the tip on one end connects to the ring on the other, and vice-versa. The sleeves on both ends are connected together. That's all that's needed.

I use the Dunlop mini with the Mastermind lt and it works fine if you use it with a Y (insert) cable. If you use it with a trs cable connected to the expression jack, the slope becomes pretty useless.

Since these pedals are pretty popular, it would be nice to have them fully supported by the Mastermind(s), but until then this workaround works.

If you switch the polarity switch inside the Dunlop pedal, it should work a lot better when using the TRS output. It should be more linear than using a Y cable.

omg! :D I ran to my pedalboard to try this. Works like a charm! This actually frees up some space for me too since my Y cable didn't have an L ack. Thanks!

The manual isn't very clear, but as far as I can tell, the pedal will need a TRS cable that swaps tip and ring.

As far as I can tell, that switch doesn't switch polarity in the way we need it to. It apparently reverses the direction of the pedal so that pushing the pedal to the toe down position makes the value get lower.

If the pedal is wired with individual wires running to the expression pedal jack, then you can pretty easily switch the tip and ring wires. But, if it's all on a circuit board then it won't be so easy.

I just got my hands on a Mission RJM expression pedal. It's incredibly responsive! The toe switch is perfect for a real Wah feel!
When the Wah is switched off it turns into a volume pedal :eek: Just perfect

Hey, how did you manage to get the SP1-RJM to act as a volume pedal? Is this something specific to a MIDI pedal you are using?

I added a second TRS jack to my Mission pedal and jumpered the wires, reversing tip and ring on the new jack. Works great, and I can use it with my MMGT or AX8 just by changing jacks. Perfect for my uses!

Hey I was wondering if the SP25L-Pro Aero from Mission would work with the Mastermind. I really like the LED that shows if it is active or not. As well as the second output for non Midi devices. Would the mastermind be able to turn the LED on/off?

Unfortunately, the Aero switch isn't going to work correctly, we need a momentary switch. I've been talking to Mission about designing an RJM specific one, and they're on board with it, but I need to do some work on my end to make it happen and I haven't found the time yet.

The actual expression part will work fine, though.

Hi Ron,

I have an issue with my expression pedal. The last cc number of the sweep is getting sent too late. Sometimes barely noticeable, sometimes even up to a few seconds.

I'm using an FV-500H with the polarity reversed to suite the RJM products. I tried my spare pedal (same model) and had exactly the same issue. I tried recalibrating, but no luck. My EV-5 works fine but I don't like the smaller sweep that pedal has.

I recorded the midi events with a monitor and it clearly shows the delay:

Schermafbeelding 2018-05-31 om 13.30.18.png

Do you think the problem is with the type of expression pedal, or is it a calibration issue?

Thanks,
Jop

By the way, that screenshot was of an extreme example. Most of the time it's something like this:

Schermafbeelding 2018-05-31 om 13.15.43.png

Recalibrate your pedal, making sure to stop moving the pedal just before it goes all the way to the end. That'll eliminate the problem.

I use the Dunlop mini with the Mastermind lt and it works fine if you use it with a Y (insert) cable. If you use it with a trs cable connected to the expression jack, the slope becomes pretty useless.

Since these pedals are pretty popular, it would be nice to have them fully supported by the Mastermind(s), but until then this workaround works.

I have a Dunlop Volume[X] which i use as an expression pedal.
To get it functional with the GT/22 I opened it up and changed the setting on the little blue switch. It works fine now.

However my Mission SP-1 may need a re-solder on the output jack to change the polarity. It's pretty much useless the way it is wired now.

Back