5-7 pin Midi Cable

Back when I was using another MIDI controller, I modified it to accept phantom power via MIDI. It was a unidirectional (send only) pedal, so I had two extra pins available to carry the power.
I didn't want to disable the original power input on the pedal, and I also didn't want to risk accidentally providing power to both inputs simultaneously. So rather than just jumpering between the unused MIDI pins and the pedal's power input, I solved the problem by installing a bridge rectifier between the two power inputs, so that (1) if power was provided to one input, the other was ignored and (2) in the event power was provided to both, the one with slightly higher voltage would be forwarded.
Overengineering? Yeah, probably. But anything worth doing is worth overdoing :)

Back when I was using another MIDI controller, I modified it to accept phantom power via MIDI. It was a unidirectional (send only) pedal, so I had two extra pins available to carry the power.
I didn't want to disable the original power input on the pedal, and I also didn't want to risk accidentally providing power to both inputs simultaneously. So rather than just jumpering between the unused MIDI pins and the pedal's power input, I solved the problem by installing a bridge rectifier between the two power inputs, so that (1) if power was provided to one input, the other was ignored and (2) in the event power was provided to both, the one with slightly higher voltage would be forwarded.
Overengineering? Yeah, probably. But anything worth doing is worth overdoing :)
That's pretty nifty, I wish I knew how to do that but I'd be scared to damage anything.

Back